Guineafowl Lavender Guinea Keets

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by robin416, Jun 9, 2017.

1. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

OK, so most of you know life has been well, a bit stressful the past year and a half. Filled with wishing and hoping for good outcomes. Things are stable for now.

There hasn't been any just because happenings. That changes tomorrow.

The one thing I have not stopped missing since we moved was my Guineas. The hubs said, get some.

In just a few minutes I found my preferred color and they're located within an hour of us. The upside is that the folks selling them to me are also selling veggies at a farmer's market. So, we'll kill two birds with one stone.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Very nice! Why guineas? Lavender I can understand, LOL

JayC79 likes this.

3. robin416

For the challenge? I always tell those who have never had them that they are not chickens and unless they can adjust their thinking they probably will have a rough time with them.

Their behavior is different, they are still quite the wild bird but are still trainable enough to get them to return to a coop each night. There is a thing called the chase where one male chases another forever to attain dominance. I never did figure out who was the one looking for dominance since I would watch a bird intentionally working to get another to chase it.

They are incredible watch dogs. Nothing that doesn't belong gets to stay around long. They are far superior to chickens when it comes to bugs. They don't destroy everything green during their foraging.

There is a lot to like and a lot that can be very annoying.

4. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm so jealous!!!I miss my guineas,too.Best bug eaters ever and excellent warning system.I've been wanting some more for a few years now.The ticks have gotten so bad since my last 2 flew the coop.The lavender ones are the prettiest.Good for you,Robin!!!

5. robin416

Then you know what I'm talking about, CQ, on how different they are from chickens.

Add in that there are few diseases that they are susceptible to and that makes them even more enjoyable.

6. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

Will guineas co-habit and roost with chickens?

7. robin416

If the balance in male and female Guinea is good. Otherwise they go after any roosters if they don't have a Guinea sparring partner. And they can be vicious and are so much stronger than a rooster.

I let my Silkies hatch keets. Right at the beginning I let them remain in the Silkie coop until they were a substantial size. Mistake. I was standing there when a keet the size of my Head Tuck nailed her in the head. Head Tuck ended up at the vet and receiving steroids to control the brain injury. She's had problems every time it got too hot or she was broody.

She's over 11 now so it wasn't a kill shot. Or I guess it would have been had I not been able to convince my vet she needed steroids.

8. nannypattyrn

What is the right ratio then?

9. nannypattyrn

Also can they escape predators better than chickens? I lost 3 including my blue andalusian 3 days ago

10. robin416

Oh crap, Patty. There is no worse feeling than that.

More males than females, usually. My guineas started ignoring my chickens when I had ten Guineas in the flock. Which meant I had enough male guineas for when they needed to spar with someone.

Yes, they can escape them better. I was at my computer one day when a flash past my window got my attention. A fox was after a male that lured the fox away from a female on a nest. I hit the door hollering like a lunatic in my stocking feet and gave chase. The fox ran off, the guinea was fine.

They will join up as a flock to run off predators. I used to watch mine get in a standoff with does that lived on our property. Watched them chase a strange doe all the way to the fence. They're smart enough to recognize a particular bark from the dogs and as a flock would come to investigate what was up. They would hear my gun go off and come running.

I watched one day when a spotted fawn came in to the "backyard" to play with the Guineas. They didn't go after it and the fawn just followed them around the house until Momma called.

Guineas are smart and trainable to a certain point. They grieve the loss of a flock mate. I had a female that there was nothing I could do anything for when I realized she was sick. Her mate stayed with her until the end. When she died he stayed with her keeping vigil. I returned to the coop multiple times that day to remove her body. One time I went back and found five or six of them standing around her body keeping a silent vigil.

They have their challenges. Like the frustration of getting them to lay in their coop. The desire to take their newly hatched keets out before they can handle the damp morning grass. The buckwheating of the females during the Spring and Fall or young males who alarm at everything.

Obviously those things are not a deterrent for me since I have them in my life again.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  11. chickenqueen

It will give you something fun to do this summer and focus on.They are a bit more of a challenge than chickens but they will be worth it.How many are you getting?

12. robin416

I got six. One I'm watching because it's off just a tad. It might be the relocating but it probably isn't. I'll just keep watching since there isn't much that can be done for it.

I need to get working on their pen in the next few days. Our issue is all the running to various doc appointments. I would keep them in with the chickens but I don't want to risk one of the old birds being hurt by one of them.

13. chickenqueen

I tried keeping mine with the chickens but the guineas were aggressive.Dale made them their own house but the decided they liked to sleep in the trees.I bought adults that time and never could tame them.Next time,I'll buy keets.Maybe next year....

14. robin416

Millet. Train them to millet. If they know they've got a treat coming at lock down they'll meet you at the backdoor when it's time to go up. My flock of 25 plus birds would see me open the back door and haul butt to meet me. Then they followed like troopers into their pen and coop to get their millet.

I'm still watching the one. It might have been the stress of relocating for this one. But if that knocked its feet out from under it like that I suspect it is not as strong as the others.

15. chickenqueen

Give it time,it might surprise you.Last year I thought I was going to loose a very young chick.I didn't have much hope,it was like a failure to thrive thing.Today she is a happy,very chubby chicken.She waits until the others go back to the coop at night and stands by the front door waiting for her night treat with her sister.

16. robin416

Keetie isn't off enough to cull. It is getting harder and harder to tell which one it was that I was watching so it is rallying.

17. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Sounds like she's going to grow up right.

18. Hencackle

Hencackle New Member

I can't wait to see what they look like when they grow up. The lavender color is so pretty.

Selling any hatching eggs next year?

19. robin416

LOL Who knows what I'm liable to do. I know that I'll grow it some. I have to keep in mind what all is going on in our lives by then.

20. robin416

So, training has been going on now for a couple of weeks. I'm sticking with what I did with my other flock, the call is "Birds" and when they answer that call there's millet waiting for them. And this group is getting it, they all scamper off when I enter but when I say Birds six heads come up and pay attention.

At night they are worse than chickens when it comes to who has to roost on the outside. Hey, if I can't walk over you to get in the middle then I'll jump from the ground on your back to get the spot I want. I heard them screaming the other night when it was just dark. I investigated and could barely see two on the ground not being happy but it was too dark to see to get on the roost. I turned on the light and watched them problem solve their predicament and finally find a spot on the roost.