Large swollen head and stretched eye skin

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by Califarm, May 23, 2020.

1. Califarm

Califarm New Member

Sorry if these pics are huge, but I can not find any explanation for what’s going on with this pullet. She’s an 8 week old Delaware, I’ve had her since 1 day old. About a week and a half ago her head started swelling, then the weird eye in the past few days. Normal eating/drinking/poop. The rest of the flock is fine, but I did seperate her into a crate in the garage to keep an eye on her 2 nights ago. Any insights??? 48F5F3C3-FBB2-452E-9D3F-4FE6559B655C.jpeg A6C367FC-1D7C-4F1F-877C-0151BDBF063E.png 28346A93-C92C-49BF-9B2F-AD528A893717.jpeg 0EE88850-1E06-4B8A-9D3F-06FE768CD31D.jpeg

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Califarm

Califarm New Member

I have read about coryza, but isn’t that super contagious? The other 5 birds are totally fine. She also doesn’t have a bad smell that I read was a symptom of coryza.

4. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Have you felt it to see if it's soft and squishy? Not sure where I'm going with that but if it's squishy it's fluid filled. It's possible she was either stung or bitten by something.

The odd eye is from the skin being stretched from the swelling.

5. Califarm

Califarm New Member

The lumpy part of her head isn’t squishy at all, it’s pretty firm. At first I suspected she was stung or bit by something, but the swelling hasn’t decreased at all since it suddenly showed up over a week ago. I’m torn between putting her back with the other girls since I know she’s sad being alone, but I don’t want to get everyone else sick if she’s contagious. No one else has pecked at her, but she’s the largest bird by far out there.

6. robin416

Try giving Benadryl to see if that reduces the swelling. Dosage is: 2 milligrams per kilogram of body weight by mouth every 12 hours. Use the childrens liquid.

I'd put her back. If she's dealing with life just fine she would be better off with the flock.

7. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I see that the one eye is also swollen (last picture) is that also hard? I just think there is a fluid build up somewhere, probably under her skull since you said it's hard. I don't know, I've never seen this happen in any case other than coryza.

8. robin416

I've never seen coryza involve the top of the head like that. It's always involved more of the area directly around the eyes. Usually below them.

9. Califarm

Califarm New Member

That’s what I’ve seen online also. I just don’t want her to be in pain if this is something she won’t recover from. I’m of the mindset that I’d rather put her down humanely than wait it out and have her suffer needlessly or infect the rest of the flock. She’s such a sweet girl, it’s a huge bummer.

10. Califarm

Califarm New Member

The mucosal tissue is showing on the affected eye, but there’s no puss or irritation that I can see. She’s been pretty patient with me messing with her and I can’t see any injuries or issues beyond the weird swelling.

11. robin416

Don't jump the gun, she's not suffering. Looks a little weird but she's not suffering. If she's eating and drinking and bright eyed she's not in pain.