Knit & Crochet

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Sundancers, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Love that afghan Andi!! The colors are just gorgeous.

I have put down the knitting and the crochet for the Summer. Something about the humidity and my "hot" hands doesn't make yarn slip through my hands as well. I prefer to do yarn things in the Fall and Winter.

So, I'm giving my eyes a workout with a very advanced, complicated, pull my hair out counted cross stitch. I work on linen even weave over ONE thread, 28 count. I'm an embroidery masochist.........

I was sorting some pattern boxes and came across my teneriffe (chicken scratch) pattern notebook. Back in college I would sit in front of the TV late at night and just sketch patterns. I have almost a full notebook. I have lots of linen and cotton......... I need another project like I need a hole in my head.......... :confused:

......and I'm saving for a rug frame. I have been working on and off with traditional rug hooking, making stair treads. They are small enough that I'm using a cross stitch frame, but since I hold it in my lap, and I'm using a crochet hook, well, it's really hard on my wrist, so I do it off and on. I want a full size frame so that I can finally make a rug for my hallway, bedroom etc.

2. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Here is a photo of my "trying to use up yarn, but ended up buying more to finish" project. :D

I have discovered that I have a lot of problems with random. I thrive with pattern and structure.

And I'm lazy, I'm going to eventually have to work all those tails in. I hate working in tails.

Attached Files:

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I have Jacob sheep which gives me the different shades of gray ... but I do dye some of the white wool with Kool-Aid. (grape and black cherry) Just to add a little color to the gray. I did notice the "grape" purple didn't show very well in the pictures.

4. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

A few of the hats I have been working on ...

Attached Files:

5. nj2wv

nj2wv New Member

ImageUploadedByChicken Forum1387332800.341348.jpg

This is the blanket I just finished. I learned to crochet from my grandmother when I was very young. I make the squares during the summer unless it gets too hot and I connect them in the winter. I am working on new squares now with more scrap yarn and purchased yarn but yarn math is similar to chicken math so who knows how many blankets I will end up making !

6. minmin1258

minmin1258 New Member

NJ2WV: That's a beautiful afghan. Looks comfy enough to snuggle under for a nap!

7. nj2wv

nj2wv New Member

Thank you minmin. It sure is warm and very soft too. I used red heart super saver and was surprised how soft it was after I washed it. These are all the squares I made at drs appointments and visits to my husband when he was in the hospital.

8. minmin1258

minmin1258 New Member

Wow I'm sorry to say this but it looks like you spent a lot of time at Drs offices and at bedside in hospital. I pray things are better for him now (and in turn better for you). If I crocheted while waiting for Doctors appointments this last year I'd probably have five or six afghans made! Lol
    Workers comp says I have to go to the appointments or forfeit the "pay checks" I've bn receiving. But I sure get tired of going back n forth t UHC Ortho clinic!!!!

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

NJ2WV ~ Love the afghan!!!

10. nj2wv

nj2wv New Member

Sundancers - thank you !

Minmin - that's a nice office they have up there. But the waits are very long. One time we were there four hours ! I pray that you get well too. A career as a driver takes a big toll on your body.

11. MamaHen

MamaHen New Member

Love that chevron afghan! :D

12. Itsacutefuzzball

Itsacutefuzzball New Member

I hand sew most things I do with fabric. I tried to crotchet a dog sweater for my chihuahua once, never finished it.:D I do cross-stitching occasionally. My hands can't stay still, so I'm always doing something! (Same with my feet and tap dancing! ;))
    Also minmin, hope you get better!

13. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

Gorgeous colors in it!! Tails and i gon't get along, i love knitting or crocheting, but sure don't like weaving things in! Wrapping up a last present- a chicken friend- a tourquois hat- then have to figure out soething fast for my inlaws...

14. nj2wv

nj2wv New Member

You could keep the tails out and use as a fringe. It looks great as it is. Or you could grab a few strands together and tie a knot so it looks like a tassel

15. NataleeKW

NataleeKW New Member

ImageUploadedByChicken Forum1493378499.803359.jpg ImageUploadedByChicken Forum1493378518.978637.jpg here are two afghans that I am working on right now. I ran out of yarn on the first so I started the second since the yarn came from the U.K. And takes time to get to me in Indiana.

16. WeeLittleChicken

WeeLittleChicken Active Member

I can't wait until I re-find all my stuff from moving - yarn and needles included. I also second that knitting is a great thing to do if you're someone that can't sit still! I like to grab a little project and knit while I watch TV in down moments.

Has anyone here knit comfort dolls?

17. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

I don't knit at all, but I do crochet some.

18. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom New Member

150651_478101805569491_57491783_n.jpg 13495637_1135535953159403_9202068702054064937_o.jpg 314986_262994927080181_1423621625_n.jpg I don't knit but I do crochet. I always have a project going on, sometimes 2 or 3, lol.
    A few blankets and ornaments I've made over the years.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  19. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

My absolute favorite is the first one. The Christmas decorations are adorable.

20. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I crochet all the time, I love it. I just finished a new scarf today. It's nothing fancy but it was fun to work on