Kinda new Chicken Mom

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cindielyn, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Cindielyn

Cindielyn New Member

I just started with chickens this past October, I purchased what was supposed to be 2 silkie hens. A 4 month old buff and 2 month old black. My buff colored girl began crowing daily and with gusto at about 6 months and we had to find him a home where he would be legal. He lives with a family in PA that has 13 acres. In the meantime the same breeder gave me 2 very scrawny white silkie hens to make up for the rooster. One sadly only lived a month but her sister is doing well. Then we found a near dead rooster in the street near our home. He had upper respiratory infection along with bloody feet and comb. We think he was a victim of rooster fighting. He is the size of a pigeon. And I am happy to say he is under the impression that he is my lap puppy. Healthy and spoiled. Our flock seemed too small so a month ago the stork aka mailman delivered my 3 babies. A white Cochin, buff Orpington and what was SUPPOSED to be a golden laced Wyandotte. She is a mystery- and def not what we ordered- but loved just the same. Oh and btw- no they are not legal in my town. I have attended a couple Board of Health meetings hoping to make changes. So far all I have gotten is they don't care if I have chickens in my house and I can bring them out in my yard as long as the neighbors don't complain. So currently 5 girls live in my basement and my little boy is in the dining room. They get garden time with mom almost daily while I continue to fight to have them outside 24/7.

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Welcome to the group :) That interesting that they let you keep them indoors lol but at least its a start. Good luck.

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hi Cindielyn! Welcome. Where are you from? I know some areas have a limit on the number of hens based on property size and no roosters within city/village limits. Other areas don't care either way. Where I'm at, I don't think anyone really cares but then I only have the 8 hens on an acre lot. Area 50 minutes North of me was having the big debate on chickens a few months ago. The ones who had the biggest issue with people having small flocks of chickens in city limits were those who did not educate themselves on the subject before raising a rucus. They based their opinions on the little experiences they had a regular farms with tons of chickens raised for commerical purposes; not the small hobby owners of chickens that the issue was about. Chickens are so intelligent and make such wonderful pets. I'm amazed how many neighbors I have had stop by here curious about our chickens over the past 2 years I've had them. Neighbors leave here with a new sense of what it really can be all about and with a new view of how smart the chickens are when given the opportunity show their smarts. Good luck to you as you work to lighten up the regulations in your area. Wish you the best!

4. Cindielyn

Cindielyn New Member

Thanks for the welcomes! I live in Carteret, NJ. The HEAD of our Board of Health - who says no chickens- says he knows ALL about agriculture, so therefor urban agriculture- because he has a peach tree. Scary. I tried to start a web site but that was a flop. I cannot figure it out at all. I am open to suggestions from anyone that has ideas. My girls would really be happier in an outdoor coop and enclosure than my basement.

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Have you tried meeting with the local agriculture dept or even 4H? If nothing else, maybe they could point you in the right direction. Love how someone who knows nothing but yet knows everything is so determined to put the kabosh to things. Easier to be blind than to open the eyes to see reality. =(

6. Cindielyn

Cindielyn New Member

I am going to a county fair this weekend and hope to chat with some peeps. Might talk to some people too!

7. ricepaddydaddy

ricepaddydaddy New Member