Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting ducks. Can i keep them with my flock of hens? What will i need to put i the pen they are kept in and what do i need to do to the coop? All advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
You sure can keep ducks and chickens together. I coop mine in the same coop. The only thing I do special for the ducks is provide a pool when we dont have 2 feet of snow on the ground. Also do not have the waterer inside the coop. Ducks will make a huge mess . One of the biggest mistakes people make are feeding and watering inside the coop while housing both ducks and chickens together, then next thing you know the person is complaining about how horribly messy their coop is and they get rid of the ducks.
I have never had a mess issue. But I also dont feed or water inside the coop. And I only feed in the morning, and scraps from the kitchen thru out the day, and keep water during the day outside the coop. (Well right now they eat the snow)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I keep mine together too. But I have found that the duck drakes pick on the chicken hens and fight with the rooster. So I had no choice but to sell my drakes and just keep hens. My chickens wouldn't even come down from roosting if the ducks were loose.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I keep mine together too. But I have found that the duck drakes pick on the chicken hens and fight with the rooster. So I had no choice but to sell my drakes and just keep hens. My chickens wouldn't even come down from roosting if the ducks were loose.
Thats to bad. I wonder why the drake was like that. What breed was he?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I too keep mine together. But lately my drakes are trying to mate with my chickens, which gets the chicken squawking, which brings the rooster running, which leads to a rooster/drake stand off. And the rooster is, of course, gonna win. Soooooo, this spring we are going to separate the ducks from the chickens.
We too have a pool, and this winter I kept the ice cracked well enough that they could play in the water.
I would suggest, as someone else did, not to water them in the house. They make a horrid mess!
But, all that said, I LOVE watching the ducks. They are so much fun. I love hearing them quack all happy like.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Well, you all answered a lot of questions I had. Not sure how I'd keep the water thawed enough in the run without access to electricity outside to have a heat source so the water doesn't freeze. I had trouble a few times this winter during our below zero spells with the water freezing inside the coop. Coop is heated but water source being on the floor and near their small door to the run was too cold. Run is roofed, north side plywood shut, rest of the sides plastic wrapped so its pleasant for them to be out there in the long winter months. I'm gone during the day so I can't keep tending to the water to make sure all is okay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts