Chicken Forum banner

Just wondering...

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  kahiltna_flock 
#1 ·
Just wondering how everyone is doing so far this winter with their chicks... As for me, here in New York the temp hasn't gone below 22* at night and the coldest days in the mid-30's. I put straw down in their covered outside pen...that seems to really help with the mud. I tried using wood chips and it turned into a slug. Their water hasn't froze in the coop so I'm guessing its warm enough for them. I will get an electric warmer for their water if I need to. Thanksgiving is over and Christmas well on its way!! Happy Holidays to everyone! Jen:)

#3 ·
We have had a cold start to our winter, dipped below 0 a couple nights already last week. Lots of straw in the coop and run. We have an oil pan heater between some bricks that we set our water fount on to keep the water from freezing. It was working till this last week when the temps dropped. I just go out and break it up a couple times a day. Going to be a long winter I bet.

#7 ·
Had our first real snow last night. It has been both entertaining and frustrating. Frozen waterers and confused birds. In the bantam pen the Rhodes Island Reds were the first and only bantams to go out in the snow. The Ameraucanas and EE's want nothing to do with the snow. but the Chanteclers love playing in the snow, they have no problems with this cold. It's almost like they were made for it ;)

#8 ·
It's not been bad here. We've had temps in the low 20's overnight. I've had a frozen waterer, but nothing too bad. Tonight after I locked my girls up, I dumped their waterer and took it apart. That way I don't have to thaw it out in the morning. I need to get a heated one.
I also put down fresh straw, a nice thick layer of it. I've got 23 birds and 3 ducks, so I'm hoping that between the straw and body heat they'll be ok.

#12 ·
So my leghorn mix has lost the tips of her comb to frostbite, I decided to cave and put a regular 100w bulb in for a bit of heat. You would think that since it is 25 in the coop (just put the bulb in this morning) and 5 outside they would want to stay inside...not my crazy girls. It's not even our 'cold' months yet so I am more worried about our jan/feb temps of -20-30 for weeks on end. I think when we get that cold I may just keep them inside. Anyone locked their birds up for days? I worry about them getting bored and pecking each other.

#13 ·
We've had nights in the teens & days only in the 30's. This week temps are suppose to get in the 50's, next Monday maybe even in the 60's... then back down to the 30's & 40's.:(
We have the heaters on low in the serama house & the breeder barn & the show girl silkie house.

Spent most of today cooking & freezing squash for the chickens night time snack during the coldest winter nights. I mix the squash with cooked oatmeal, this will give them extra energy during the night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.