Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was a member of another forum that I can't find now (getting an error when I try to go to the website).

We've had chickens for close to 2 years but I still feel like a total newbie. I especially feel helpless when we have one get sick because we don't have any farm vets here.

I wish I had more time to spend with our flock but I still work full time. Our boys take care of them (with us checking up after them). It's a mixed flock. We have barred rocks and australorps, plus some we got from a friend when he was getting out of chickens (not sure of the breeds). Our roo is a Dark Brahma. We had an Australorp roo that I adored but we lost Buster earlier this year at the same time we lost 10 hens. He was probably trying to protect them from whatever was predating them (coyotes, bobcat, hawks, eagles, or a neighor's dog, or a combination of the two). Eleven chickens in 2 days . . . we were devastated.

We have chickens for the eggs. We like knowing what is going into them and feed only organic feed, and give them fresh vegetables (green beans, spinach, etc.) as an occasional snack.

Our flock currently consists of 21 hens and 1 roo. One hen is sick :( and I just posted about her on the Health board. We gave 4 of our BR hens to a friend on Saturday to help her start a flock; she got 8 hens from another friend, so she's got a healthy start on a flock for her family.

Tina

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi Tina. Welcome to the forum. I have had chickens for 3 1/2 years and it feels like not more than a year. Always so much to learn and not much for info out there for those who keep chickens for long term rather than more short term. I ended up here because of the comradery and desire to learn more and share with others the joys of chickenhood.

I did read your post about your sick hen. Wish I knew how to help you. What I would do is amp her up with electrolytes to start with and isolate her. If you can, bring her inside with you so you can monitor her closely. I find that typing in the symptoms into a search engine often leads me in the right direction as to what is wrong. There are some really terrific experienced members on here who may know right off what is going on too and better guide you. Keep checking in on your post often. Keep us posted too. The more details you can give us, the better. In the meantime, good luck.

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
I recognize your sig, what board are you not finding now. At least there is always one out there to turn to. I haven't been on this one long but it suits me quite well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I had replied to this earlier! Thanks for the welcome! The board I can't get to now is poultrycommunity. Seems like it's gone offline.

I like this board! I'm glad I found it. I'll have to refer my "chicken" friends here!

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
Well, it looks like they are totally off the air and have been for a while. You can't even google it and have it come up. Then the server error when you try a different type of search.

And I goofed on one search. I put in Poultry Connection and what popped up was that it had been hacked and had a terrorist type page.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts