Chicken Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove down to Loxley, AL this morning and picked up 6 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Barred Rocks from Carter's Legacy Farms. I met with a very friendly and knowledgable lady, Rose McCurdy and she had my chicks boxed and ready. Here they are in their new brooder.

image-3392705685.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rob said:
coops looking good. can you post more pics as you build ?
Sure, it's 8ft x 8ft with 2 nest boxes on each side. I'm building it next to an old 20 x 25 dog pen that I'll be putting a bird netting top on.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Congrats on the chicks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have to wait until December to get my chicks from CLF. For some reason DH is refusing to build a coop in August. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BigECart said:
I have to wait until December to get my chicks from CLF. For some reason DH is refusing to build a coop in August. :D
Ha Ha, it's definitely a hot job. My wife and I will work on ours for a few hours in the morning and we're soaking wet.

·
Not so Junior-Junior Member
120 Posts
Having chicks is great motivation for the coop building project. We got out first chicks July 4 weekend and didn't finish the coop until Labor Day...talk about a long, hot, sweaty, stinky, summer :) Looks like you have a great start! Have fun building!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Energyvet said:
What is your coop sitting up on? Are those blocks?
They are concrete deck blocks. A 4x4 fits into them and the 4x4s are attached to the floor frame with lag bolts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts