Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I myself am a crusty old hen of 62. I have lived in western Colorado for 25 years. I have never had chickens before, but always wanted to. I'm first generation not farm raised. The first time this forum popped up on my facebook page, I shared it to the page of a friend who has had a flock for a couple of years. I was getting the itch to have chickens myself. March came, and my friend told me the nearby Murdochs had chicks in. I could say the devil made me do it. I went out the next day and got 4 amber whites. I wanted more and different varieties, but they were just starting to get chicks in, and I wasn't interested in the others they had in so far. I was thinking araucanas, and they were preparing a space for araucana chicks. I haunted them, and 5 days later, got 2 araucanas. At the same time, I fell in love with the Australorp chicks (I think I wanted to see if they would chirp with an Aussie accent;)) and got 2 of them. AFTER that (I'm bad about putting the horse before the cart) I came back here to learn about what I had done...with the Araucanas, I thought I knew what I was doing (ha!:rolleyes:) and the others were all impulse. I have to learn to trust my impulses, because the AmberWhites and the Aussies are fabulous. The Araucanas do amuse me, and are already named, because they are such drama queens. (I swear they give me the stink-eye). They are attractive too, so I guess they won't be dinner for a while. I think they channel Chicken Little.

Anywhoo, the AmberWhites will be 12 weeks tomorrow and the rest were 11 wks yesterday. Have put up an 88 sq ft pen with tarp on top for shade, and am figuring out what I am going to do re coop/henhouse, since I have all summer.
I've got pics now, so I'm going to put them up here. The first pic (at least I hope that's how it lines up, still learning the site) should have all 8 girls, pic taken today.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The buff Araucana is named, "Trouble", and the other Araucana (so many colors, so little time), is "Hawkeye". She makes me think soooo much of a hawk

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cat in the one picture, "Dude", has been dreaming...

·
Registered
250 Posts
kjohnstone said:
The buff Araucana is named, "Trouble", and the other Araucana (so many colors, so little time), is "Hawkeye". She makes me think soooo much of a hawk
One of my Easter Eggers Reminds me a hawk, just her coloring and her shape and beak. I call her mini hawk haha :)

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Your "Trouble" is the spitting image of my Lulu!

And I also have a "Hawkeye"!!

I love that age, so much like mini chickens.

Attachments

·
977 Posts
I have alot of Easter Eggers! I just love how much of a variety they are. So many different colors and patterns! I have 2 Hawks! 1 is called Hawk, the other is called Hawk 2!
Beautiful selection you have by the way!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your "Trouble" is the spitting image of my Lulu!

And I also have a "Hawkeye"!!

I love that age, so much like mini chickens.
Lulu is pretty. I like what I see behind her, too. what breed is that?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have alot of Easter Eggers! I just love how much of a variety they are. So many different colors and patterns! I have 2 Hawks! 1 is called Hawk, the other is called Hawk 2!
Beautiful selection you have by the way!
thank you. I got lucky!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The cat is pretending to be a chicken! At least it appears to get along with them!
Pretend is right. There are two milestones before I let the girls have the whole back yard.... a 23 foot section next to my garage that needs 6 ft fence and gates, AND they have to be fully grown so they will be as big as the cats (weight-wise).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like a good idea! Once they reach their adult weight, I wouldn't worry about the chickens.. I'd worry about the cat!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like a good idea! Once they reach their adult weight, I wouldn't worry about the chickens.. I'd worry about the cat!
That is my thinking too! (especially since the Aussies and Ambers will be sooo big.) (I don't know how I didn't get past the 'A's when picking chicks)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think that the "hawk" look is more visible in Araucanas because of the tiny pea comb, which prevents distraction. When I look at the girls with regular combs, the heads/beaks really are just the same, but the combs distract the eye and make them seem to look different. Also, the cheek fluff seems to hide the chicken factors as well. I finally got a good pic of Hawkeye, although the near foot became a blur as she moved it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts