Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
morning everyone- has anyone done jury duty? i got picked - any experiences i'd love to hear, not too enthusiastic about it, but doubt there is a way to get out of it- i hate being away from the house, with the chickens to play with and art to create...:)

·
Banned
984 Posts
I feel it is my duty to serve, but once they find out my former occupation, I am immediately excused. makes for a big headache once a year for me.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I was picked once, we declared the guy guilty, then after the verdict we were told the rest of the story, and advised the guy to appeal so his new evidence could be told. Basically his first plea was guilty of the charges, what we later learned, his plea was entered because he could not get to the courthouse he was being called to. Basically ins co and lawyers against a guy that was representing himself.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My husband and I get called quite often...just during the picking of the jury we are paid $40. a day...think I was there 3 days...made a nice little $$ stash! (for chickens) Never was picked??? It was very interesting how the court system works. Jen:)

·
106 Posts
Numerous times;

morning everyone- has anyone done jury duty? i got picked - any experiences i'd love to hear, not too enthusiastic about it, but doubt there is a way to get out of it- i hate being away from the house, with the chickens to play with and art to create...:)
I have often been called but only chosen once. My son is now a police officer and I'm often excused by the plaintiff's attorney. I feel it's a duty we owe. We may be in need of a jury sometime, though I hope not.

What I learned from one of the elders at the time is that you can only rule on "what we know". It's up to the attorney for or against to prove guilt or innocence.

I have seen people excused because they had livestock to tend to.;) This may help if it's to be a sequestered jury. Say for a possible extended felony trial.

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sooo, when you get called, you aren't necessarily in a jury? hmmm.... strange system... so they have you go there, then screen people? they say you get through that, you stay until they decide whether they need you??

·
Banned
984 Posts
As an active duty police officer, we are exempt from Jury Duty, because neither side really wants you. The defense believes your mind is tainted to believe anyone in the system is guilty as charged, and the prosecution is afraid that you will look beyond what evidence is presented, causing a miss trial or appeal. The minute you retire, you are no longer exempt, but after all the time and trouble to attend, you will only get excused as you are being selected for a jury. My last duty took an entire week for them to ask what my former occupation was, then I was excused. I myself would love to make it to a jury, but the system is broken.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I've done it three times but I could have gotten out of it because I'm with fire service.

It is eye opening ... and what make America great!

This is IMO ...

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
I live about 70 miles from Birmingham, Alabama. I got the letter in the mail that I was to appear for Federal Grand Jury in Birmingham on such and such a date. I called and begged, and cried, and pleaded, and slung snot, and nothing worked, so I had a suitcase packed, borrowed some money for a cheap motel in downtown Birmingham, and showed up. The judge said "Anyone that wants out now can get out, too many showed up. Last chance". Well, this was personal now, I was there, and I was pissed, so I was gonna stay. I pulled the old bump on a log trick, and sat quiet. THEN, the Judge says, "Ok, this is Federal Grand Jury, we will all meet here the last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of each month for the next six months..."

·
Registered
74 Posts
artsy1 said:
sooo, when you get called, you aren't necessarily in a jury? hmmm.... strange system... so they have you go there, then screen people? they say you get through that, you stay until they decide whether they need you??
The way it works in my county is that they call a certain number of people every week. This is the jury pool. They give a phone number to call the night before. If there are no trials or last minute plea deals, there is a message for you to not go. If you do go, they select juries for the trials. One time they had two juries plus a grand jury.

To actually sit on a jury, they lawyers/judge will ask questions related to the case. Do you know anyone involved in the trial, have you ever had a (medical condition, vehicular accident, etc.)? The lawyers can specify a certain number of individuals that they do not want on the jury.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I've done it three times but I could have gotten out of it because I'm with fire service.

It is eye opening ... and what make America great!

This is IMO ...
I agree 100%. I would want someone like myself on my jury, someone who wants to be there as they understand that's one of the things that makes the US great.

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i spent some time online reading what to expect, so that combined with your all insights, i think i'm ok with it, being an introverted workaholic can have it challenges!:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
As an active duty police officer, we are exempt from Jury Duty, because neither side really wants you. The defense believes your mind is tainted to believe anyone in the system is guilty as charged, and the prosecution is afraid that you will look beyond what evidence is presented, causing a miss trial or appeal. The minute you retire, you are no longer exempt, but after all the time and trouble to attend, you will only get excused as you are being selected for a jury. My last duty took an entire week for them to ask what my former occupation was, then I was excused. I myself would love to make it to a jury, but the system is broken.
My Dad got called not to long ago, went in, waved at the judge and was excused. He'd been friends with him for 20+ years.

i spent some time online reading what to expect, so that combined with your all insights, i think i'm ok with it, being an introverted workaholic can have it challenges!:eek:
Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
51 Posts
For some reason revealing my mother went to law school while I was growing up makes me a target for being picked. So I don't share that anymore. Since moving out to the boonies, I have only been picked once but was given a number to call the night before to make sure I would have to show up. I did not have to show up as it was canceled. One of the perks of living in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My mom use to work for the State of CA. She was an attorney. She got called for jury duty once and had to show up daily for a week. For some reason no one wanted her on the jury :) and after the 2nd day was told not to bother showing up. They told her "if we need you we will give you a call".

I also have a friend who was a jail chaplain for several decades and until recently volunteered at the parole office, so he knows a lot of paroles. He never gets picked either.

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, i'll let you all know, be there tomorow morning for 'orientation' which is supposed to clear up confusion according to the paperwork...:eek: doesn't take much to confuse me...:) Anyway, will be armed with ebooks(on my phone, they permit them but not in the courtroom) and yarn and crochet hook(plastic) - and of course the ever present sketchbook...:) we live in a small town- grew up in San Diego, so anything smaller than that seems like a small town to me!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts