Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to integrate my juniors with the adults. Right now they are in the back of the coop with a pen and mini coop. Today, I opened the chicken door in the back and closed the regular door to the coop so the adults could not get in. They free range except to lay. So far, the juniors have only peeked in the coop with food fairly close to the door. I am wondering if I should just open both doors and let nature happen. My juniors are 9 weeks old and getting too big for the coop. The problem is, that I have three roosters and four hen adults. I am afraid the roosters will hurt them, especially the polish silkie I have and want to find a home for. i would post pics but it asks for http link instead of being able to just upload pics from your files.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
If you are free ranging, just open those doors and let nature happen. The younger birds are going to get pecked at the feeder and at any given time and this is natural...but on free range they can avoid the older birds and will be able to learn when it's okay to come to the feeder, roosts, etc. without getting pecked so much.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Upload a pic using the paper clip not the picture tab. It will then allow you to get the image from your computer.

At 9 weeks I would let them free range with the older flock.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All 10 are out of run and in and out of the main coop. So far, no big problems. They have seen each other for 9 weeks so hoped that helped. They are able to range but have not gone too far from the coop yet and able to get away from the other chickens if they need to. So glad this part is over and only have to set up feed and water for one group :). Thanks for your input.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
That's good to hear. Usually if they have a nice number of newbies they at least have each other. They will probably stay two separate flocks living together until they get older and some want to start moving up the ladder----so to speak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts