Its a miracle?

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by Pinkter, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

Ok so I posted last weekend that my rooster hadn't crowed in 2 months and seemed to be sliding downhill quickly. Thursday I opened the coop and head was hung low, wings were drooping, and mucus was streaming from his beak. Same Friday. I called the vet. He said severe respiratory infection and once it got that far it was too late. I put him in a cage alone last night with medicated water and food in the garage. This morning he's trying to crow. Noise is coming out for the first time in months. Head, wings, and comb all back to normal. I know one night of antibiotics can't be it. My husband has decided that Gary, the rooster, needs a man cave to retreat to at times. :). I have 2 hens and 4 pullets. Strange!

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Well, I have no words. I'm so glad he's feeling better! Yay for Gary! :D

3. rob

rob New Member

hey good news :D

4. anderson8505

anderson8505 New Member

Less stress (no hens to worry about) might mean more rest. Antibiotics work quickly in chickens in my experience. Glad he's on the upswing, often respiratory ailments can kill pretty quickly. Be wary of the behavior of all of your flock now, catch it before it spreads further. Respiratory illnesses are quite contagious in birds.

5. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

Yes I went ahead and medicated all. The strangeness continues however. Gary acts like he's ok. He eats, drinks, runs around the fenced area all day, comb is bright red. He still doesn't make a sound and has stopped mating. Any thoughts?

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Keep doing what your doing. Give him a little more time. Respiratory illness takes a long time to cure.

7. MatthewBK

MatthewBK Chicken Lover

He probably just needs some time to recooperate.
    I'm allowed to be punny, right? :)

8. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

Cute play on words. I hope you're right.