Its a Basil, Peppers and Cucumber Party at Slippy's Coop & Run!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by Slippy, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Slippy

Slippy Member

Home grown Basil, Peppers and Cukes make for a happy Friday night for the young girls!

What are you treating your chicks with from the garden?

IMG_2168 (002).jpg

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

No garden here. Right now everyone, even the Guineas, are hooked on iceberg lettuce. The quail are downright ferocious when they see I've got the lettuce in my hand.

Slippy likes this.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a large garden but my girls are not allowed in it, it's a people food garden but they are allowed some at my discretion lol. They get leaf lettuce, radish and beet tops, spent squash flowers, marigolds, sunflower leaves and seeds (okay so those are for the girls, sue me for spoiling them and planting part of my garden specifically for them hahahaha). You should see them when I toss an entire sunflower head in the yard, it's a free for all! You better be fast and mean if you want any seeds!
    They also nibble on several of the herbs that I planted too close to the garden fence lol. Sage, lavender, thyme, mint. They aren't too fond of the lemon balm or oregano, which is sad because oregano is so very good for them.
    I put a potted mint into their run a few weeks ago and I kid you not, it was demolished in less than a minute and I only had 4 chickens eating it!

Slippy likes this.