Chicken Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
My d'Uccle hatched here from shipped eggs. It was a bad time and I didn't handle them at all while they were growing. Many serama are fairly tame even without handling when they were young and tame easily as adults. Given the time, I may try that with the d hens.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Definitely! We raised ours inside by hand the first couple months or so, til they were duly feathered, so they got used to us totally, and of course handled daily ever after as well. At least for a minute. I know with the number of birds you have that isn’t always possible, but they’re good girls. Jackie is a family favorite- she’s a booted/DUccle mix (we think.)

And hey! Check this out! Little Chappie has just a bit of frizzle coming out around his neck! The first couple we thought maybe just for bent but nope! This is as close to an example pic as I can get; it’s not a lot yet, but maybe a dozen or more all around! You can see a few here I think. They are so random (and black/white) and fluffy they’re kinda hard to get a good picture of but that’s definitely what they are. Weird chicken! Love him.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Definitely! We raised ours inside by hand the first couple months or so, til they were duly feathered, so they got used to us totally, and of course handled daily ever after as well. At least for a minute. I know with the number of birds you have that isn’t always possible, but they’re good girls. Jackie is a family favorite- she’s a booted/DUccle mix (we think.)

And hey! Check this out! Little Chappie has just a bit of frizzle coming out around his neck! The first couple we thought maybe just for bent but nope! This is as close to an example pic as I can get; it’s not a lot yet, but maybe a dozen or more all around! You can see a few here I think. They are so random (and black/white) and fluffy they’re kinda hard to get a good picture of but that’s definitely what they are. Weird chicken! Love him.
Genetics! I don't think anyone truly understands genetics in chickens. Both parents to Chappie were smooth so frizzling isn't supposed to happen in the offspring; ya right!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So funny! I love that the chickens you gave us have been such fun little bundles of surprises! Hahaha
And maybe no roos, still nobody crowing and I think for sure they would’ve been- false comb growth alarm. Ha- it DID start growing all of a sudden, for a few days but it stopped again too so just a female comb and she decided she didn’t want to be in charge after all either! Silly things.
As for the tiny Serama, also perhaps still a pullet as the comb also has not progressed from its initial HELLO. See? You knew best after all.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)

Also, Chappie LOVES his boy- you paired those two well. Some mornings he will crow. Which is fine, it’s a little nothing of a thing still, but I try to see what he’s up to and he is not having it. And then, if he’s up and out, little one has to come too or she gets louder than his crowing is. And that leaves the poofy girl, still dubbed Third Wheel. She doesn’t want to be alone of course. So I have to take all of them (with a crowing Chappie) in to Tristan and wake him up, and then he stops crowing! It’s pretty funny. But, I thought you’d enjoy hearing how much they love one another!

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Also, Chappie LOVES his boy- you paired those two well. Some mornings he will crow. Which is fine, it’s a little nothing of a thing still, but I try to see what he’s up to and he is not having it. And then, if he’s up and out, little one has to come too or she gets louder than his crowing is. And that leaves the poofy girl, still dubbed Third Wheel. She doesn’t want to be alone of course. So I have to take all of them (with a crowing Chappie) in to Tristan and wake him up, and then he stops crowing! It’s pretty funny. But, I thought you’d enjoy hearing how much they love one another!
The serama ARE a pair for sure. The third chick (cochin?) is a pullet. I love the unique comb on the serama cockerel; quite different than the norm.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It is! His waddle matches; you can kind of see in the second picture (as well as a few more wonky feathers lol) it has grown with a wrinkle in it too, so it’s a bit folded. It’s adorable Dan! Everyone is exactly what they are supposed to be, and then some!

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
It is! His waddle matches; you can kind of see in the second picture (as well as a few more wonky feathers lol) it has grown with a wrinkle in it too, so it’s a bit folded. It’s adorable Dan! Everyone is exactly what they are supposed to be, and then some!
I'm glad you like them. There won't be any d chicks this weekend. Perhaps next week's will do better. If they do hatch, it's likely they will be crosses. The d pullets were with the phoenix free ranging before I got Boots the d rooster. It's been a month today since the pullets were with the phoenix roosters so all eggs from now on should be pure d. Should next week's eggs hatch it should be easy to see if they're crosses as d'Uccle and phoenix could not be more dissimilar.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Uh oh- I’m going to go ahead and post this, bc it can happen to anyone and I’m a little.... not nervous, bc not my fault at all.

But uncomfortable anyway.

The big rooster apparently went after their 2 year old last night. I don’t know details, they sent a text and said he had attacked him and they were on way to the hospital?? I do not have any more info yet, she just was letting me know that was their last straw and I said that’s fine, he’s yours and that’s just how it is sometimes. Anyway... that sucks- and they still have my big dog crate they were supposed to drop off today. I’m half afraid they’ll bring him back.... what to do? Nothing really. Out of my hands, especially without more info.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
We all had hope that he would continue to be on good behavior. If they do bring him back, call the vet. Ask them if they will put him down for you.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well, he’s not here. So he’s probably gone. Which is fine I guess. Even if he’s not quite to blame here IMHO. Not saying he could be kept by them anymore either, but nor was this a situation he should’ve been put in. Mostly I just really really wish she’d follow up bc I still haven’t heard a thing and I don’t know how good or bad that is for her son and regardless he’s the priority here. No matter what I think. And it was a holiday yesterday, So I haven’t pushed. I’ll let you know if I hear anything else. It’s sat hard on me this whole time though for so many reasons.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Did they know he was aggressive to you all? If they did and still took him then it's not your responsibility. Some precautions should have been taken on their part until they knew for certain how he was going to behave. Just like we would with a dog that is unfamiliar.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
Well, he’s not here. So he’s probably gone. Which is fine I guess. Even if he’s not quite to blame here IMHO. Not saying he could be kept by them anymore either, but nor was this a situation he should’ve been put in. Mostly I just really really wish she’d follow up bc I still haven’t heard a thing and I don’t know how good or bad that is for her son and regardless he’s the priority here. No matter what I think. And it was a holiday yesterday, So I haven’t pushed. I’ll let you know if I hear anything else. It’s sat hard on me this whole time though for so many reasons.
I am so sorry it went poorly, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yes! And he had come after them already too. So it wasn’t kk a first and a huge surprise. Or shouldn’t have been.

And yes, hubbs did warn her that he IS protective and will not tolerate certain things period, and otherwise space is needed to keep him settled. No clue what happened or how, and idk if I’d get 100% truth or what now.

PLUS, they had him for at least 10 days before the incident, he was very much theirs and in their possession. I had never said I wanted him back either. I can’t help but feel bad now, but if they didn’t put him down now, then we most likely would have by now too, bc it just wasn’t sustainable. I tried to give him a chance. That’s all I can do, and she had also said they had just lost their other rooster to the neighbors dog so they wanted something protective. Idk. They’re transplants to the area too, from an urban area, and while I won’t make a total leap here, I think it’s fair to say this is their first experience too.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
Yes! And he had come after them already too. So it wasn’t kk a first and a huge surprise. Or shouldn’t have been.

And yes, hubbs did warn her that he IS protective and will not tolerate certain things period, and otherwise space is needed to keep him settled. No clue what happened or how, and idk if I’d get 100% truth or what now.

PLUS, they had him for at least 10 days before the incident, he was very much theirs and in their possession. I had never said I wanted him back either. I can’t help but feel bad now, but if they didn’t put him down now, then we most likely would have by now too, bc it just wasn’t sustainable. I tried to give him a chance. That’s all I can do, and she had also said they had just lost their other rooster to the neighbors dog so they wanted something protective. Idk. They’re transplants to the area too, from an urban area, and while I won’t make a total leap here, I think it’s fair to say this is their first experience too.
Sounds like you did the best you could. Some folks don't understand or don't have the experience regarding the old country rule, you can't keep a human aggressive rooster. Our rule here has always been to take a wait and see approach with juveniles who might try to flog once or twice, but if it continues or gets more severe, the bird cannot stay. Too much liability.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Indeed, and a definite fair assessment. My mistake for not knowing her idea of free range was not my idea of free range....

Our actual backup option if someone hadn’t taken him (it is so unfortunate the child got involved at all here) we were going to release him to be a free free range bird for as long as he was able to be. A friend releases birds like him on their back acreage with an old barn- to sate the predators and keep them from coming in closer to their laying hens etc. so he would’ve been part of the circle of life that way anyway. Is what is. But a shame in the end for how it happened.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Uh oh- I’m going to go ahead and post this, bc it can happen to anyone and I’m a little.... not nervous, bc not my fault at all.

But uncomfortable anyway.

The big rooster apparently went after their 2 year old last night. I don’t know details, they sent a text and said he had attacked him and they were on way to the hospital?? I do not have any more info yet, she just was letting me know that was their last straw and I said that’s fine, he’s yours and that’s just how it is sometimes. Anyway... that sucks- and they still have my big dog crate they were supposed to drop off today. I’m half afraid they’ll bring him back.... what to do? Nothing really. Out of my hands, especially without more info.
You have my sympathy. It's always difficult when a person tries to do a good thing and it backfires. It sure would be nice if people would actually listen to what's being told to them; so many experiences like yours wouldn't happen-poor tyke.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

Third Wheel (or Karma) is still nothing but fluff! Her wing feathers have more structure than any other spot and even those don’t have a real edge on them. I think she’s officially silkied for sure. sooooo soft......

And the other ladies! They’re all doing great also, we can’t get over the beautiful feathers!

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
I was so closely watching how squashed Karma was I didn't notice the feathers. They really do deflate when it comes to a good dust bath.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts