Chicken Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oh shoot- yes you’re so right, mixed with that title that was an even more horrid typo!!

So, figured I’d just post here cause we are already chatting etc.
I think the baby poofy (Cochin) is silkie feathered. No really! None of them so far have any hard edges. I’ll post the pics I’ve got that illustrate it, but I’d like a look from someone who has had silkied feathers before- to see if I’m nuts or if hers are just abnormally soft edged !

[mention]danathome [/mention]

What do you think? Is she an exceptionally fluffy chick that hasn’t gotten hard edges, or could there be some silkie in there somewhere that you know of? I’m really really intrigued by this chick now! Lol
She’s (and so far her comb has not grown any more either so fingers crossed still) a neat little thing- she’s got a different look to her than the boys did (duh different genes lol) and she’s super super soft and fluffy feathered thus far. The poofy boys both got hard edged feathers right away- but all her feathers have stayed fluff, start to tip.

Sorry I started that earlier and forgot to post!

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Cochin girl could only be a silkied bird by a miraculous miracle! To be a silkied type both parents have to be silkied or carry the sikied gene. In this case, neither were or do (well maybe). Silkied is a recessive gene requiring a silkied allele from both parent. The chances of my cochins BOTH having the hidden silkied gene is pretty slight. The feathering does look different. I have several younger siblings. I will be sure to keep an eye on them. If there is a hidden gene it should show up again.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ll definitely keep you posted on how she progresses- bc Dan I’ve never (to date) had a chicken with feathers like these! And if she IS silkied, you can bet we will breed her and you will get some of those too. We will have a regular conveyor belt of chickens running back n forth!

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Of the several cochin chicks I have, none have feathers like yours growing in. With the Poofy boys with the hens now the hens probably won't throw another like that, but if your little girl develops into the beauty she appears to be, I'll put Blue with the hens again at some point.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Certainly- if she turns out as pretty as I believe she’s working on, it would be worth another round to see if they’ll throw you another surprise!

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
If she is a mutation, she'd be one of a kind. If she is the result of recessive genes, then research says that 25% should be that feathering. I can see feather "shapes" in the picture and silkied doesn't have that, but around her legs it does look silkied. And the feather edges as you mentioned.

A mutation could be passed to her offspring. If it's recessive it would be a hidden trait in the offspring which could show up in the next generation if the offspring were paired to the mother or each other. If dominant, the trait would show in the offspring-about half of them would have the same feathering as the mother.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Very cool! I did notice the girl (of yours) we met was softer feeling than our boys were, but didn’t think much of it! She is unusual looking so far, I love it. Thank you again, Dan- we do truly love them all. It looks like the 4 pullets may have a rooster in there too, but that’s ok too. They seem to be getting along better with the full-size hens than our bantams actually- other than Chip. Chip likes them but they think he’s after them when he’s just curious. Funny little things! The big girls mostly ignore them when they’re out together, even when they follow them around, so that looks promising.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It’s one of the two smallest ones, possibly both, but I really think just the one. They’re all sweet and beautiful, and I think we can make room for everyone to live comfortably and happily ever after.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

First is Heidi- she has the most gorgeous colors and feather patterns!
Second is the tiny poofy girl in my pouch (she loves it actually!)
Last is our Oink chicken, also a cuddler... once you get ahold of her anyway.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
OK, the pouch baby is my favorite pic.

I had two Hamburg sisters. One absolutely had a fit every time you tried to pic her up and it took a lot to settle her. The one I just lost was totally opposite. I could slip my hand under her breast and lift her without her getting all fired up about it.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
First is Heidi- she has the most gorgeous colors and feather patterns!
Second is the tiny poofy girl in my pouch (she loves it actually!)
Last is our Oink chicken, also a cuddler... once you get ahold of her anyway.
Poofy girl looks like a girl still. Cute. How are the serama doing?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
They’re doing great! They’re so much fun- and soooo attached to one another! You cannot get the bigger fella out without the other ‘alarming’ so they always visit as a trio, or at the least spread between us all!
They’re growing and so cute! Chappie is just a little mommy to them both. Silly gender confused rooster.....

And, if anyone wants to see the TinyRoo in action, here ya go. And my feet.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

I spent the majority of today farting off with the chickens in the backyard as evidenced by the slew of fresh photos!

And then there’s the little girl, happily trying to destroy my only ‘good’ flower, 1st pic
Miss Jackie hunting dried worms in the driveway, 2
And the babies attempting to mud/dust bathe. It wasn’t working so well. I don’t have as many pics of them Bc they are so funny about being together and always moving too...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
OK, the pouch baby is my favorite pic.

I had two Hamburg sisters. One absolutely had a fit every time you tried to pic her up and it took a lot to settle her. The one I just lost was totally opposite. I could slip my hand under her breast and lift her without her getting all fired up about it.
Yes! I doubt we will ever have a picture of us cuddling with Neigh. She’s a bit of a priss. Moo is easy and comes right up to us and doesn’t give us too hard a time grabbing/catching her- and then she melts.
Oink- it’s like she has to expend a little bit of initial panic and smack me in the face a few times before she remembers that I’m not trying to hurt her... then she melts too. But if she stays on the ground we can scoot her over onto our laps easy peasy.

Lastly, my BFF just got a puppy, so now I get to enjoy all the best parts of it and then give it back! Kinda like the auntie that spoils them- that’s me and their pets! Lol

THAT FACE! Had to share. I’m a sharer. Clearly. Duh. Have we met?

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
I miss my little D's. I really don't think there is any other breed so human friendly as those little guys.

It's really funny to watch them doing those first dust baths. A whole lot of flopping around but very little dirt movement.

That's the face of sweetness just waiting to find all the fun stuff to get into. Puppies are so adorable and destructive at the same time.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You nailed it- of course, I would have to say that chickens are vessels of destruction also! We all know this!!

They really are one of the sweetest most affectionate breeds I’ve spent time around so far. The little girls and Jackie let me pet them when they’re in the nest and kinda poke under them a little. We decided after this cold snap to leave the eggs for a few days and see if that makes anyone want to take them on! I’m just going to let them do their thing anyway. Will see what we get! Little mini- Chips and- um..... a mini-Tiny? Hahaha

In other news- guess what guess what?!?!

We rented a skid steer for Fri-Sun! Yippee the real work begins!

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
The pictures coming from the skid steer work should be fun to see.

The little D's are not as broody obsessive but they have no issue with building a clutch to hatch.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Cute and sweet pictures. So far my d'Uccles have shown no interest in brooding and mine will have to have their feet trimmed if they go broody; every time they get off the nest eggs come out on their feathered feet. For me it's the serama that are the friendliest. The d pullets are not social at all and quite flighty. Boots, the rooster is just the opposite.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
How funny! Were these Ds all ones you raised or got elsewhere? I know how friendly all your birds are really, so I’m surprised they didn’t take to you better too!
The little girls are.... dumb blondes. Truly! They react without a single thought to things and do the dumbest stuff... and they’re just a little odd. Dottie still acts half rooster herself- she will mount our hands occasionally and likes to challenge some of the others sometimes too.... silly girl. They don’t run often when we try to pick them up now, but they’re so fast when they don’t want to! But, once we catch them they just settle right in; but catching them easier has taken til now, but they stay put more than half the time now kinda like the poofy boys.
Edit- horrible run-on sentences. Sorry. I need to do better proofreading!
Just an UPDATE on Q; he’s settled in and they worked with him a bit and he’s just a big baby. Now he’s shy of them, a little, but not aggressive so he’s happy! I’m thrilled. Just wanted to share that bit.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts