Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rehoming our mascot and original buddy of mine last night, it’s really quiet this morning without him crowing! The lady was sweet enough to send me a shot of him once he made it home too- he seems a little confused but otherwise pleased to me- already making friends! She also mentioned a wooded area leading down to a creek, so he’s gonna be thrilled.

It seems that TinyRoo is now our alpha chicken over there, and he doesn’t crow as readily as our Chip, so there’s less crowing all around now! Can’t argue with that either....
In other news, our tiny ones are still a trio- Chappie leads and protects Alarma and Third Wheel always. So adorable, but you cannot visit with just one- Alarma is the absolute loudest peep I’ve ever heard!! For something so tiny.... anyone ever had those little Easter peeps that when you touched both the dots on the bottom they started “peeping” at like supersonic earbleed levels? Yeah- the tone, the volume... that’s him/ her!

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Don't take this wrong, but those are some wonderful family photos.

Don't hold your breath on the quiet. Once those little boys find their voices you're going to have the ear bleeding crowing coming from several directions when they compete with each other. Especially if they're given their own spaces.

I'm happy your boy found a new, more appropriate home. By that mean, more size appropriate females. Now let's hope he remains docile.

·
Serama King
1,374 Posts
Judging from the picture, little black serama is a cockerel. Snowflake gives healthy chicks but the vast majority, so far, have been cockerels. His first seven chicks are all cockerels. Of three-four nests only three have been pullets.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh wow!!! That’s an exceedingly large number of cockerels. No worries.
My husband had the baby (Alarma) and said ‘you’re my favorite!’ So I asked, well is that still gonna be true if she is a he? And he immediately said YEP!

So it’s all good.

Apparently his good attitude didn’t last long- I told her I was really sorry, and I hoped he would calm down for them, but if they needed to rehome him again that was fine too- we are so so happy to have our hens back today....

And she was shoving her head under there herself...

Good grief- and yes I realize those finger nails on him are atrocious! Sneaky bugger.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And just for fun cause it popped up and made me laugh....

Upside down chicken without a care in the world... ah, the heck I’ve rained down on his world since then..... “Hey dude, meet these 3 baby roosters coming to live with you too! You’ll love it, I promise! “ Pooooor little Chippy....

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
And, that’s just Chip. He has become the easiest rooster to haNDLE!!! in the world! He follows a few commands and will jump up on something and wait for me to pick him up. (Sometimes- he’s not Tiny! Ha)
Dust baths are always endlessly amusing to me....

And my only non stunted bulbs here. No clue what they lacked or what happened- I have them planted all along the front edge there. Many are about an inch tall with tiny leaves and maybe 3-4 flowers on not really a stalk. It’s odd. But these sure are pretty. Happy spring!

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
OM, fix your first line. My heart stopped when I saw "die" and you talking about Chip.

I like them, they're all blossoms. Have they been in the ground for long? It might be that they just need a few years on them to put on the green growth.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought them as flowers 2 years ago, and they came up last year but not huge, kind of half size on a couple and I figured it was bc it was the first year... I should’ve had a few more AND better growth.... who knows? They prob half rotted in that wet ground this year!!!

Edit to add- and oh my goodness yes! Thanks for catching that.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Phew. Hard not to catch with the subject line.

That might be true of some bulbs I have planted. They've been there for years but this Winter I noticed there seemed to be a problem. We've had tons of rain and I had the same thought, they might have rotted.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh shoot- yes you’re so right, mixed with that title that was an even more horrid typo!!

So, figured I’d just post here cause we are already chatting etc.
I think the baby poofy (Cochin) is silkie feathered. No really! None of them so far have any hard edges. I’ll post the pics I’ve got that illustrate it, but I’d like a look from someone who has had silkied feathers before- to see if I’m nuts or if hers are just abnormally soft edged !

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
I'm not touching this one. After the multiple molts they go through as they're growing they can change a bunch.

Dan might have a better idea.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know- I was comparing the boys I had to theirs and they are very different in some ways- she has like an ostrich neck compared to them, but it’s cute.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That was my thought as well, she may have some back in there a few generations that is popping out, or something? He would know better than I in every sense!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts