Chicken Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Oh yes! I couldn’t say with any certainty what any of that might run where he is then, that’s for certain. But, if the rest of it helps and he wants to pursue it, he is always welcome to hit me up. They really are pretty fascinating little things.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Oh! I got on here to do this earlier but was so shocked by Dan’s post I forgot....

Speaking of isopods, here are a big clump of them, they love this fake grass stuff apparently!
And Darma, sleeping like a ding dong....

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Dan's post? That must have happened while I was doing stuff. Like taking a nap.

I need some of those in my bird pens. Well, as long as the birds didn't eat them all.

OK, what did you all do to embarrass Darma?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Welllll...... nah I used to be sorta normal! I gardened and worked part time, sent these kids to school (gladly) and messed around on social media some.... and I read. No, I devour books. Fiction mostly, but I’m into politics as well so that too.
Politics is actually another interest/pursuit of mine, both/neither side, mainly just facts and info. Which I double and cross check. I follow on the global scale as well as National.... that’s as much as I’ll mention of anything politic on here, don’t worry. At least I do try to avoid it, very much.

Alright folks, here is a prime example of a molt incident. Clearly Ryder is missing at least a full joint of outer walking leg, it looks like it just never formed up properly and is a bit clubbed. Straws are notoriously hard to molt successfully, so I’m going to be grateful this is the only issue in 3 molt cycles. He be-boos around all over and I just saw it yesterday after being up for more than a week. He just had been facing toward me or the opposite side.
And yes, he should be able to self correct this in short order. Sometimes these will cause a Crab to molt back to back, if it is severe enough- and that is really risky too. Sometimes they’ll go a really long time and be totally fine next time, or have a shorter and smaller piece than they would have otherwise but is ok by the second time. They’re odd.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
You can see a little tiny nub there at the end of his leg. What happens when they molt? Do they also shed part of their limbs?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
You recall the picture of the naked crab, and their slug-like abdomen? Their exoskeleton detaches and splits from there and it comes off and leaves basically an empty shell; they don’t turn it inside out or anything, just slide out. At least it’s supposed to work that way. Different factors like diet and humidity can cause various issues, this looks like he maybe got stuck when it got to that particular joint, whether injury or something else, and so dropped that end of a leg to finish the molt. It is common with the strawberries. Unfortunately for the most part they don’t do as well in captivity. There are a few hardy ones that stick around, but they are a challenge to keep. Does that help? It’s a bit weird.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Yes it does. Basically it self amputated to complete the molt. That is awe inspiring.

If he's gone through three molts with you something must be right to keep him happy. So, don't change anything. ;)

81 - 93 of 93 Posts