Chicken Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
I'd be in trouble, I'm not much for non stop sweets. Do you have protein shakes? Might be a good idea.

How long did they say before you're back to eating steaks?

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
Who me??? Hahaha I have a quart of ice cream from a local dairy, egg nog flavor I'm slowly working my way thru! It's coming along. Mostly soft and liquid (ok they said all but it ain't my first rodeo, there are still a few things edible they wouldn't agree with tho!) ya know, as long as I'm careful and gentle, I can still eat my favorite homemade gingerbread dipped in white chocolate cookies, made by the lady i house sit for! Oh they're so yummy. Hehe. They will melt in my mouth. Then what's the problem?

And yes, my ginormous sweet tooth probably never helped much when it came to my teeth, but even when I tried cutting it out it didn't slow anything that I could tell. Meh.

Feeling pretty good so far today, too. Not too much swelling!
That's good! Hoping for a smooth recovery!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
If it heals like it did last time, it was about 2 months before I could start getting adventurous. They say the 4th week is actually the least stable, even though the pain is gone, so you really do have to be more careful for those few weeks after that. That's as I was instructed anyway!

It's not too bad. Honestly I can eat most stuff as long as I don't put much pressure on the bottoms. I can snap it off w tongue and top teeth too, and soften it up before going on about eating it. Practice makes perfect, right?? Lol I definitely couldn't let my (unexpected delivery of) favorite cookies go to waste....

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Thank you PJ! I have been really blessed through the entire procedure with an excellent team taking care of me. I am so grateful I found the office when I did.

Here’s a recommendation for everyone; check online reviews for drs and find the one where people say things that agree with your own opinion, not necc the top ranked or most reviews- but the one that fits you best. Jmo, it has made a big difference since I started doing it more like that.

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
Thank you PJ! I have been really blessed through the entire procedure with an excellent team taking care of me. I am so grateful I found the office when I did.

Here's a recommendation for everyone; check online reviews for drs and find the one where people say things that agree with your own opinion, not necc the top ranked or most reviews- but the one that fits you best. Jmo, it has made a big difference since I started doing it more like that.
That is good advice that folks don't often consider.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
LOL I go looking for the negative reviews. You can tell a lot from those. Like someone complaining just to complain with no real reason to complain. But there are others that are very telling.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Yes! Those are equally informative- at least some of the time, as you say. And it's easy to see who just wanted to whine.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
This is as good a place as any- just a little update on my missing-feathers hen. Well, it appeared she was molting after all. She lost her tail feathers and alll the head and neck feathers, and they've mostly grown back now. That's her behind Quack- and you can see his little bits of frostbite on his waddles there too, poor buddy! I am proud to say he has taken no more damage thus far despite the extreme weather. Yay! Anyway- Moo has no more tail behind Q in this pic, she's just funny and short looking. Never lost body feathers though. Some of her fluffy butt was all. Well, now....

We have our other hen, Neigh, who appears to be molting too. And she's just molting along her back and tail- sporadically. You can see here how it's getting patchy. Well, none of this would concern me, but.... just wanted to be sure it seemed kinda normal? Terrible time to molt, I have to say, but- are they? Why hasn't Moo lost any others? What are they doing?!? (Aside from making their owner nuts....)

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
This is as good a place as any- just a little update on my missing-feathers hen. Well, it appeared she was molting after all. She lost her tail feathers and alll the head and neck feathers, and they've mostly grown back now. That's her behind Quack- and you can see his little bits of frostbite on his waddles there too, poor buddy! I am proud to say he has taken no more damage thus far despite the extreme weather. Yay! Anyway- Moo has no more tail behind Q in this pic, she's just funny and short looking. Never lost body feathers though. Some of her fluffy butt was all. Well, now....

We have our other hen, Neigh, who appears to be molting too. And she's just molting along her back and tail- sporadically. You can see here how it's getting patchy. Well, none of this would concern me, but.... just wanted to be sure it seemed kinda normal? Terrible time to molt, I have to say, but- are they? Why hasn't Moo lost any others? What are they doing?!? (Aside from making their owner nuts....)

Neigh's actually looks like that could be damage from being mounted.

There really isn't a timeline and sometimes they're sneaky molters. You don't even know it's happening because the feather loss is so light.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
She doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of action from the rooster that I've seen, but they are in the coop so many hours this time of year I'm sure there's a lot I miss altogether.

However, when she walks around sometimes it's like she's leaving a trail to find her way back again, they just seem to fall right out. It's not every day I see this, and it could still be from being mounted and simply pulled loose. If she gets any more bald I might actually use the chicken saddle I bought, and see how bad she hates it (or not.) I figured it wouldn't hurt to keep one around and I was right!

Oh, I just dug out one of the 'tanks' where I lost a couple of crabs. Ugh. The worst. Unfortunately I had a bit of a flood in this one (it was just way over saturated, but nothing standing for me to see.) This created before or after a crab went to molt what we call a bacterial bloom. Pretty straight forward! Long story short, at least I know what went wrong w these guys, and I also know that it cannot happen in the new one thanks to my overbuilt drainage system!

Thanks for the replies- I'm just gonna keep an eye on them (as usual) and try to sort the mystery.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
If she's leaving a trail then she probably is molting.

I'm sorry. I know you hate losing any of them. That is one part of the crabs' lifestyle I'd have a hard time dealing with. I'd obsess over them being OK and re emerging as they should.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Strange, aren't they? The thing that got my attention is that their abdomens must be covered in a tough membrane to not be all cut up by the coral.

OM said the ones she has sand will kill them if they aren't in a shell.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the pictures are really beautiful. but i am just a little concerned about the cost of these guys? they must be expensive to get?

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
My guess is those really nice digs she put together for the crabs is where a large chunk of the money is.

Living where you do, Janam, I'll bet they would be very expensive for you.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Hey there! Yes, the cost is mainly in the tank portions. However! I’m not sure if you have similar but I found my tank using LetGo, an app, and got that big ol tank and stand for just $75! No lie. It needed work, and then we had to do it a little different but it worked out. Point is, yes. It can get expensive quickly- more the electronics than anything. Depending on where you live you may need a heating mat for the crabs to keep the tanks temp up, and lighting for them to simulate natural environment etc. so those are my bigger investments. Large pieces of cholla wood can be found for sale on eBay, prices vary. So, yes. It isn’t super cheap, that’s def true. And their diet does require a huge range of foods.... but if you start small you can easily work your way up as you’re able to.

Half my crabs lived in plastic totes for over a year while I got the tank stuff sorted out for them! It doesn’t have to be anything expensive as long as you have enough sand to bury themselves in x3, the temp and humidity is good, some entertainment can be scavenged, so——- it depends!

The original question- the crabs themselves were almost all adopted. The few that weren’t just came from Petsmart.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts