Chicken Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I got 4 buff orpington "pullets" 3 weeks ago. right now they are 25 days old, but I feel as though one is obviously a male. He has different feathering and a reddish comb. I need to know for sure if it's a male because I can't keep roosters in my town, and If I am found to have one I may lose my permits for the hens too.

Here are some pictures of the suspected male:

These are what the other 3 look like:

I hope that some more experienced people will be able to say if it's a male or not.
Thanks!

·
441 Posts
Cockle-doodle-do. Sorry you can't have one, that stinks. Are you located in the US? I have poultry friends all around the country and one might be interested in a buff orp. roo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too bad it's a roo, I wish I could keep him because he's so sweet. I'm in MA if anyone wants a little roo. It would be great if anyone had a pullet of the same general age (any breed but preferably orpington or australorp), and would like to swap it for the roo, but if not I'll give him away for free :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm in MA too, I could keep roosters but I am not going to. There is woods between us and our neighbors but not enough to keep the sound from traveling. Plus with a baby on the way I'm not looking for any interruption to anyone's sleep! We are in Worcester county. I bet if you put him on Craigslist someone will take him!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll wait a few days to see if anyone on this forum wants him before I make a craigslist posting. I'm new to this forum, but I can tell that everyone takes great care of their chickens, and I'm hesitant to give him away to some random person on craigslist if I don't need to. Is there a section of the forum where I should offer him?

·
Registered
764 Posts
We are going to be eating our roosters, we bought all dual purpose birds so we will have some meat from our at least 5 Roos. We do have two silkies but won't be eating them if they are male, going to try to rehome them but that won't be for another couple months.

You can always check out the chicken chick, she's in Connecticut and knows a vast number of chicken keepers and farmers who will most likely take him as well. Was he from a breeder or a hatchery? There is a classified part of this forum you can try too. Good luck! :) if I were keeping roosters I would take him they the such beautiful birds!

·
174 Posts
Also, reach out to the ladies at Fresh Eggs Daily or Farm Chit Chat if you are on Facebook or google their websites. They have a huge chicken lovers following! I was able to give one of my roosters away (with a small donation) to a farm sanctuary in Pennsylvania. You might reach out to the farm sanctuaries in CT, NY, MA too. I wish I could take him but my silkie Roo already rules the roost (and crows too much). Good luck!

·
Banned
825 Posts
LIKELY a Rooster....because of the feathering.....
.....BUT.....I think it is really a bit EARLY to tell for sure.
IF it isn't crowing.....I wouldn't get my "knickers-in-a-twist" over it.
You've got time to watch and make SURE that you have a Cockerel there.
-ReTIRED-:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts