Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
His is the bald spot on my BR, it's just at the base of her tail about the size of a quarter. We put some neosporin on it last night. It's not bloody but obviously it has no feathers. I lifted up the feathers just above it and there are some shafts coming in, so soon enough new feathers should cover it up, but it doesn't look like any will BR growing from this bald spot. Is this an injury warranting separation

image-2881071397.jpg

? I'm sure once we get ride of the rooster things will get better. Thanks, I have no idea what a bad hen pecking looks like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Chickens for some reason like to pick anything red, I think thats why picking can turn bad. I was told chickens dont like neosprin so they shouldnt pick once its on, but when my polish were being picked on I put neosprin on them and thick too, but the other still picked on them.
There is a product called Blukote (not sure on the spelling), that will cover the injured spot so others wont pick on it. I've never used it but lots of people swear by it.
As for separating here,I probably would just for a couple days maybe. Chickens seem to heel fast. Maybe if you can give her scabs time to heel a bit they wont pick at it.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Ya, they haven't pecked since the neo was put on, I'll keep that up and separate until I need that space for the new bird.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I went to apply more neo to poor Dorothy today, I noticed that none of her skin is actually bleeding but there is a small string of blood coming from a feather shaft, that I can't wash away with a qtip. Not of it seems to hurt her, she lets me pick her up and apply the ointment and prod around looking for damage. This string of blood maybe a cm long, coming from a feather shaft? What is that?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so that was a blood feather, it's been taken care of. The raw spot she's got is about the size of a silver dollar, 3 cm or so. The other hen is fine with her so I'm separating the rooster. I can easily divide the outside run at the 1/3 mark. Is this enough space for a 5 month old rooster (4'
X3') for only temp when they need to be in the coop at night. During the day I'll separate the yard they are in. We are taking him back Wednesday, and picking up a new pullet to replace him. Would this separation also work to introduce the new pullet to the existing two? How long should a new bird be separated? Many thanks...poor Dorothy.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I would think the set up you have will work with both the rooster seperation and the new pullet seperation. i would just keep them seperated until you can be there when they are loose together just in case you need to break up anything. I would give it a good week unless your pullets seem fine with the newbie before then.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Apyl! So far so good. The BR and RIR got the bigger half of the coop and run together and got to roost inside the coop. The roo got a crate and roosting bar and food and water in the attached run. I hope that's good enough. If a new bird is separated like this and doesn't have access to the coop roost at night, will there be a problem once they all get to be together? Currently I've let the RIR and the roo be together in the yard and BR is separated, so at least the roo isn't alone all day and night. Do you think that with the BRs current injury, I should separate all 3 birds in the yard? I'm hoping for a new pullet miracle, I'd hate to have her outside the coop for too long, but I guess it's just a chicken :-/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts