Is this a rooster?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Pookadoodis, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Pookadoodis

Pookadoodis Menopausal Cajun/Irish Woman of Substance

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Those feathers at the base of the tail and around the neck suggests that it is. But since I'm notorious about sexing anything that isn't a Silkie I'll give a shout out to someone who's usually spot on.

Pookadoodis likes this.

3. Pookadoodis

That tail stays upright! Doesn't act like any hen I've ever had. It just chased after my dog & it was hilarious!

4. robin416

It's not the upright tail that makes me think boy, it's those feathers that droop around the base of the tail.

Dominate hens will chase interlopers, one of mine chased a red tail hawk one time when it tried to get one of her peeps.

5. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm saying hen. I"m no pro either but I've seen those droopy tail feathers on all of my birds regardless of gender, has fooled me many times!
    Although...looking at it again, those neck feathers do look a little boyish. I'm surprised there isn't any comb at all at this age though. I don't see any sign of wattles either, no pink (maybe that's just the picture?)

I think I'll stick with hen, I've learned from past experience that the comb and wattle development will never let me down. (but it's more difficult to tell in a picture vs. real life.)

Maybe a picture of the comb and wattle area would help?

6. robin416

I was wondering why it isn't crowing. Or at least trying to.

7. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

Guessing a hen.

Pookadoodis likes this.
  8. robin416

And he does it again. sigh

Pookadoodis likes this.
  9. Pookadoodis

Thanks, ya'll!
    It really has no comb or wattle development at this point, none of them do.
    I'm hoping it's a hen. They're all supposed to be girls but anything is possible. That chicken is definitely "The Boss" of the flock.

10. robin416

And so the adventure begins.

What breed are they? I see the feathered legs but if I didn't raise the breed I stink as bad at id'ing a breed as i do sexing them.

11. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Looks rooster with the tail But the comb isn't really red. Is this a Easter egger?. Is the comb red or pale? Roosters usually have 3 rows of peas on their comb. This one its tail feathers scream rooster. But. I have a few hens that have tail feathers like this that are hens.

12. robin416

And there's ME trying to make me feel better for being wrong once again.

Maryellen likes this.
  13. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

I have a breda hen. She is large like a rooster and has those same tail feathers. I questioned her being a rooster for the longest time until I watched her lay an egg.

14. robin416

Yeah, Chicklett kept me guessing until she laid her first egg at nine months. With most of my Silkies I could sex them pretty accurately by the time they were two months old.

Maryellen likes this.