Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already mentioned this in my intro post but figured that I would bring it here as well. I have a westshire rooster with an attitude problem. He will slam hens into the side of the coop peck them on the head repeatedly. He has chased ran over and pecked at the 2 chicks that we have. During yard time he also searched out my 4 year old who was on her swing no where near the hens and jumped on her back attacking her. Originaly he was a sweet bird that doted on his hens and even flirted with my wife and daughters. He is currently seperated from the rest of the flock. Is there a way to rehab this little A-hole or is this just how he is going to act if we keep him around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a guy (roo) like that once. He would attack the hens, and when I turned my back he would attack me. We were able to curb the attacks but it was only after the hubby slammed him down a couple of times with a broom. Once he hit him so hard he thought he had killed him, but he had only knocked the air out of him. I don't think violence is the answer, but sometimes it is the. You might begin to pick him up and carry him when you are out, and never allow him to mou t the hens when you are present. YOU are the rooster when you are in his area. Good luck, and off that don't work, there's always "winner winner chicken dinner!"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
10 hens in the flock 1 in isolation for being an egg pecker as well as 2 chicks just fully feathered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rooster is gone now, he took to crowing at 4am and got me in trouble with the village. He also would crow constantly if anyone was in view of him or he could hear me in the driveway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad to here you got rid of the rooster. Esspeccially Since he attacked your daughter. I'm still doctoring a deep puncture wound from our (late) rooster. We tried to keep him but he was just too mean. It wasn't until he snuck up on me and got me. Messed up my whole day (and his). Had to make a doctor visit. We are so glad it wasn't our grandchildren. He had a really bad attitude towards our grandsons. Now it is so nice to go into the chicken yard and not fear getting attacked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts