Is she broody?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Jimmy bar360, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Jimmy bar360

Jimmy bar360 Member

Hi all. I have two chickens that lay in one of our cattery runs. This isnt a problem as i know where to find the eggs. The last three days one has taken root in the cattery box where the cats sleep. I have managed to get her out as she is not eating or drinking when in there. I have checked there are no eggs in there but she goes back in as soon as she has eaten. She seems a bit fiesty towards other chickens and cats, even her neck feathers puff up... She seems to have separated herselth from the rest of the flock.... Is she broody? and if so when will she go back to normal?... Should i close the door where she is going to try and break her from whatever she is going through.. Thanks in advance guys..

2. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Member

I’m not an expert on broodiness by any means, as I’m pretty green still. But as I understand, from what I’ve read (The Chicken Chick and others) she might be getting broody indeed! As long as she isn’t acting like she’s injured or hiding for another sickness reason then that would be my guess too! Good luck, I’m sure others will have better ‘real’ advice.

Jimmy bar360 likes this.

3. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Yep, she's broody. You might be able to break her by locking her out but understand she'll go right back to it in as little as two weeks. Broodiness is hormone driven and there's a cycle to it. Hatching and raising chicks is part of that cycle.

One thing I did is buy day olds, let my girl raise them then rehomed the chicks when she was done raising them. That would satisfy her for several months.

What breed is the hen, Jimmy? Some are more relentless than others.

4. Jimmy bar360

Jimmy bar360 Member

HI Robin. That might be an idea, if i can find some chicks... She is an ISA Brown. Lovely temperment (normally) If i put in some fake eggs or golf balls and just let her complete the cycle... do you think that will do it?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Kind of, of sort off. Since there won't be any chicks for her to raise the cycle won't be completed and she's liable to go broody again right away.