Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am a new chicken owner and recently got five chickens. Two of them I received from a friend of my in laws. Unfortunately I’m unsure of their specific breeds and ages, but we were assured they were hens :unsure:. The one in question I believe is a Cochin and maybe about 3 months old. I was a bit suspicious of her early on because her comb and wattles developed early and are very red.
Then yesterday morning she actually crowed twice. I was devastated because we are not allowed to have roosters, but then I read that hens can possibly crow. I’m hoping that there is a chance that she is not actually a he because she is so sweet and I don’t wanna have to get rid of her. The other three chicks that I have are only 5-6 weeks and recently moved in the coop. She does chase them around so maybe she just feels like the top dog so that’s why she crowed? Her feathers are all round including her hackle feathers and I don’t see any saddle feathers coming in but I’m new at this and idk if they would come in later?
The gray chicken in the pictures is the same exact age as the Cochin and the Cochin is much smaller which I know may just be a breed thing. Please let me know what you guys think. I appreciate it!!

and if you need more pictures or information let me know!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Sadly, I think you might be right. You've got a little boy. @imnukensc is very good and he'll weigh in on this.

I don't know if Cochins get the same feather patterning that hard feathered birds do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That's a little cockerel. It's true that hens can and sometimes do, crow. I've had two that have done that, but they were much older birds and there was no rooster in the flock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Not the answer I wanted but hopefully I can rehome him before we have to put him in the pot 😭. Maybe I’ll consider trying one of those no crow things but idk. Wish me luck!

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
I've heard negative things about those no crow collars so don't go there. I'd be the first one to tell you to go for it so you can keep him but if it causes harm as others have found then I'd stay away from them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I wish I could keep him but hopefully I can find him a new home.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You could try the no crow collars. But they do not stop the crowing, nor do they silence it. They simply muffle it a little.

You have to be extremely careful, because if put in the wrong spot, put on too tightly, or used incorrectly they can cause serious harm or death to your boy.

Also, on it's own probably will not help much. As the crowing will still be audible.

I generally would not recommend it unless you exactly where on the neck to put it, and how to use it. Placement is so important. And you certainly do not want it to choke him or affect his breathing.

It needs to be kept low on the neck, under the feathers, over the voice box. It stops the voice box from expanding fully, resulting in a muffled crow.

Also it needs to be watched extremely carefully. You do not want it to move and end up affecting his breathing. Another reason it needs to be watched, is it may become to loose; or in your case because the cockerel is still growing, too tight.

I do not get to tell you what to do, if you choose the no crow collar I can only provide you with basic information to the best of my abilities, or if I am unsure, point you to some good sources. I only urge you to do your research, and to be extremely careful. And to choose what is best for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the advice. I will let him mature more and once he starts crowing loudly if I haven’t found a new home by then we may try the collar or just cull him 😢. Maybe it’ll be more humane to just cull him. Idk well see

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Folks like Cochins, you might be able to rehome him easily. List him on Craigslist to see what happens. But make sure you ask for payment. Then when you find someone willing to pay for him give him to them.

What you're doing is making sure they're not buying him just to put in a stew pot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that tip. We will try that. He is crowing a lot this morning 😕 so we’ll have to get rid of him pretty soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
You could try the no crow collars. But they do not stop the crowing, nor do they silence it. They simply muffle it a little.

You have to be extremely careful, because if put in the wrong spot, put on too tightly, or used incorrectly they can cause serious harm or death to your boy.

Also, on it's own probably will not help much. As the crowing will still be audible.

I generally would not recommend it unless you exactly where on the neck to put it, and how to use it. Placement is so important. And you certainly do not want it to choke him or affect his breathing.

It needs to be kept low on the neck, under the feathers, over the voice box. It stops the voice box from expanding fully, resulting in a muffled crow.

Also it needs to be watched extremely carefully. You do not want it to move and end up affecting his breathing. Another reason it needs to be watched, is it may become to loose; or in your case because the cockerel is still growing, too tight.

I do not get to tell you what to do, if you choose the no crow collar I can only provide you with basic information to the best of my abilities, or if I am unsure, point you to some good sources. I only urge you to do your research, and to be extremely careful. And to choose what is best for you.
Good description!

• Love
Reactions: ChickenBiscuts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Looks like a hen, but if crowing so much then obviously roo..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He still doesn’t have pointy feathers, but his tail feathers are starting to get longer. And he does have a beautiful green sheen to him idk if a hen would have that this young or not.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Sounding more and more like you have yourself a little boy. Guess it's time to find him a new home. Unless of course you've got cool neighbors.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've heard negative things about those no crow collars so don't go there. I'd be the first one to tell you to go for it so you can keep him but if it causes harm as others have found then I'd stay away from them.
Oh noo this just reminded me of my Roos I’m crying I tried the collar it didn’t work and they started getting rlly angry and that day I gave them away without even saying goodbye properly cuz he was still mad at me and he might be even dead

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
unfortunately one of our neighbors loves to call the cops on us for small things (having a fire in the fire pit, riding atv down the street once to dry it off after washing) so I know it wouldn’t fly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Luckily I was able to find him a home. He is now at my coworkers house who lives in the country. It is not the ideal situation but it was the best option. She wasn’t really prepared so I am helping her put a coop together for him and he will be sleeping alone 😭. Her neighbors have 7 hens who free range in her yard so at least he’ll hang out with those hens during the day. Hopefully that will be okay for him. The hens are aggressive with him and he was definitely fighting back. I guess this is part of establishing the pecking order but it stinks because he is so much smaller because they are fully grown. Hopefully as he grows that will get better. But he is in a large fenced in area so the hens and him can see each other through the fence so hopefully he can start free ranging with them safely soon once they get used to each other.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Just having to take him away isn't ideal. Too bad neighbors can't mind their own business.

If those were the only two you had you're going to need to find a buddy for your girl soon. More stress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have three younger ones. So I’m sure she’ll be fine. But she was close to him she kinda stays away from the three little ones. Hopefully as they grow bigger they will get closer. Do you think my rooster will be okay being alone a lot of time? I mean he’ll see the other chickens and free range a lot (once they done fight so bad). I’m going to see if she’ll be fine with me getting a younger chicken at the local hatchery for him. I’m sure she’d be fine with that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts