is it normal.....

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by annlouise, Aug 23, 2012.

1. annlouise

annlouise New Member

is it normal for a broody to go straight into a moult once her eggs are hatched? the chicks are a week old and their run looks like the aftermath of a good pillow fight!!

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Good question. I have the same thing happening with my Australorp who I didn't let hatch any. (I don't have a roo.) She went from getting a new playmate, to going broody, to now molting in under a month. Poor girl! Looks like a somewhat feathered porcupine right now. :p

Someone on here will have an answer to your question that I'm glad you asked. :)

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

It's generally related to light cycle. Their eyes see light and send messages to their glands to create hormones. This will cause a seasonal feather loss like dogs shed. Other hormonal triggers can cause feather loss too. But I don't believe it's from the hatching.

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Agree w energyvet..

5. annlouise

annlouise New Member

thanks for the info x

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I'm just glad mine are molting now and not in the freezing middle of January like poor Sophie did. That was awful. I'd bring her inside in a plastic bin and set her safely near a heat source while I went back out to clean the coop. She LOVED that! Think she thought she was a queen on those days.