Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chikaboo!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a beautiful rooster 5 mo old that I need to give away. I attached the photo. People saying most likely this ee breed. I was gives hatching eggs as ameraucana. Is that the same thing. They are all lay olive or light blueish eggs.
Please advice.

Attachments

·
441 Posts
It can be, depending on whether the parent birds came from a hatchery or a sure 'nuff ameraucana breeder. The ones the hatcheries sell are more properly called easter eggers.

·
Chikaboo!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bird_slave said:
It can be, depending on whether the parent birds came from a hatchery or a sure 'nuff ameraucana breeder. The ones the hatcheries sell are more properly called easter eggers.
Got it. Interesting.
Thank you!

·
Chikaboo!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So does than mean my cock should also have a puffy cheeks? Does that mean he is not the EE or Ameraucana breed?

·
441 Posts
So does than mean my cock should also have a puffy cheeks? Does that mean he is not the EE or Ameraucana breed?
Both the roos and the hens of the ameraucana breed should have the puffy cheeks or "beard"; so I'd have to say no. He's either a mix or a different breed entirely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
He is not an Ameraucana. He needs to have a beard and muffs to be an Ameraucana. He does have slate legs and a nice long tail. ( two traits accustom to ameraucanas). As for the hen, she has a pea comb (essential to be Ameraucana) but your roosters comb looks iffy. Would need to see the hens tail to see if she is Ameraucana or not.

For the record. An Easter Egger is any type of chicken that possesses the green egg laying trait. Normally a mix between Ameraucana or araucana... The big traits for ameraucanas are the pea combs, long tails (unlike the araucana), beards and muffs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts