Is ester egger same as ameraucana and araucana?

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by tiras25, Nov 11, 2012.

1. tiras25

tiras25 Chikaboo!

I got a beautiful rooster 5 mo old that I need to give away. I attached the photo. People saying most likely this ee breed. I was gives hatching eggs as ameraucana. Is that the same thing. They are all lay olive or light blueish eggs.
    Please advice.

Attached Files:

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

It can be, depending on whether the parent birds came from a hatchery or a sure 'nuff ameraucana breeder. The ones the hatcheries sell are more properly called easter eggers.

3. BigECart

BigECart New Member

Do the hens look the same? He is so dark - I've never seen them that color.

4. tiras25

tiras25 Chikaboo!

The hen looks like araucana. Attached. But then again not sure if from the same breed.

Attached Files:

5. tiras25

tiras25 Chikaboo!

Got it. Interesting.
    Thank you!

6. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Your hen has the puffy cheeks that you expect to see with the ameraucana breed (or an EE). The cockerel does not.

7. tiras25

tiras25 Chikaboo!

So does than mean my cock should also have a puffy cheeks? Does that mean he is not the EE or Ameraucana breed?

8. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Both the roos and the hens of the ameraucana breed should have the puffy cheeks or "beard"; so I'd have to say no. He's either a mix or a different breed entirely.

9. tiras25

tiras25 Chikaboo!

Hmm I see. What breed would you think he is? Here is more pics I shot yesterday.

Attached Files:

10. KenimokPoultry

KenimokPoultry New Member

He is not an Ameraucana. He needs to have a beard and muffs to be an Ameraucana. He does have slate legs and a nice long tail. ( two traits accustom to ameraucanas). As for the hen, she has a pea comb (essential to be Ameraucana) but your roosters comb looks iffy. Would need to see the hens tail to see if she is Ameraucana or not.

For the record. An Easter Egger is any type of chicken that possesses the green egg laying trait. Normally a mix between Ameraucana or araucana... The big traits for ameraucanas are the pea combs, long tails (unlike the araucana), beards and muffs.

11. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

Looks like a brow leghorn to me?

12. KenimokPoultry

KenimokPoultry New Member

I don't know anything about leghorns, but from some research leghorns have white earlobes

13. grgfishkeeper

grgfishkeeper New Member

You could be correct.. my one leg horn rooster does have white earlobes ... but could he be crossed with something?