Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I have seen mixed info on chicken wire. Is 20 gage chicken wire/netting tough enough for a turkey run? My other run has 4’ of hardware cloth on the bottom, including a foot on the ground. And then had the larger hole welded wire on the top half. But, I “technically “ have no budget for this project. I am scratching together what I can, so I am looking at using chicken wire on the ground and up the walls instead, even though I loathe the stuff. Any experience?
Publication Material property Plant Cylinder Tints and shades

·
Registered
183 Posts
Chicken wire is good at keeping things in, but not at keeping things out. If you're not worried about predators/critters getting into the run, then it's good enough to keep the turkeys in.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I agree with imnukensc. I've used chicken wire when I don't have the finances for better. A complaint I'd have is that it doesn't stay nice; quickly gets bent, stretched, and shoddy looking. I'd recommend that all wire edges be fastened to wood. I have chicken wire on a run and didn't fasten the top to anything. The wire is sagging and my next project is to run two by twos along the top and staple the wire down.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with imnukensc. I've used chicken wire when I don't have the finances for better. A complaint I'd have is that it doesn't stay nice; quickly gets bent, stretched, and shoddy looking. I'd recommend that all wire edges be fastened to wood. I have chicken wire on a run and didn't fasten the top to anything. The wire is sagging and my next project is to run two by twos along the top and staple the wire down.
It seems like the biggest complaints against chicken wire seem to be raccoons grabbing chicken necks, and predators getting in because it was loosely fastened. I fasten all my wire with my air stapler completely around the edges. I could do this at every twisted joint for the most holding power. And putting roosts away from the edge would limit raccoon reaching ability. So then the biggest threat would be some determined critter that would have to chew through the wire, right? How many would actually do that?

I agree that chicken wire looks bad, but at this point I am getting desperate for something. Turkey hunting season is nearing, and mine are starting to run after the wild ones, so their biggest threat will soon be the neighbors who hunt or just running off in general chasing tails.

And our area has a massive amount of wild turkeys….lots of free range food for predators. I think this has kept a lot of them from bothering my flock in general.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chicken wire is good at keeping things in, but not at keeping things out. If you're not worried about predators/critters getting into the run, then it's good enough to keep the turkeys in.
Do you know which predators will go through the wire? I know we have foxes, raccoons, and skunks where we live. I haven’t heard the coyotes for probably 5-6 years.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you know which predators will go through the wire? I know we have foxes, raccoons, and skunks where we live. I haven’t heard the coyotes for probably 5-6 years.
If it is built well none of those critters should be able to get in. Racoons always worry me because they are smart and if you have a flaw in your build they will find it.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Not all poultry netting is created equal. I have some stuff here that a raccoon could tear apart. Most chicken wire that I've seen is strong enough. When you open the bundle check out if the screen look strong. If so, then I agree with JediPat.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Dont lay chicken wire on the ground as an apron. It will rust within a year and will easily fall apart. I did it and that's what happened. I now use field fence as an apron without any problems. I havnt used hardware cloth as an apron.

I use chicken wire on all my pens in addition to 36" hardware cloth over the chicken wire going up from the ground all around the sides of the pens.

Snakes, rats, and mice can go through chicken wire. For me, to enclose a pen completely with hardware cloth is cost prohibitive.
It's easier to completely predator proof the chicken coops. It's even tough for mosquitos to get in one of my coops.

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
Yep, a predator proof coop makes the poultry netting question moot.

But as Dan said, not all poultry netting is created the same. I had racoons tear through poultry netting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, a predator proof coop makes the poultry netting question moot.

But as Dan said, not all poultry netting is created the same. I had racoons tear through poultry netting.
Do you happen to remember which gauge it was? The chicken wire they have at fleet is 20 gauge, and the hardware cloth is 19 gauge.

My chicken coops are very secure, but from what I have read and my experience with turkeys is that they don’t generally like going in a coop at night. They haven’t been in a coop all summer. I am planning to somehow convert my greenhouse for them to have a shelter, but I am not confident that they will sleep in there every night. So, I am going to have to have a decently secure run.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dont lay chicken wire on the ground as an apron. It will rust within a year and will easily fall apart. I did it and that's what happened. I now use field fence as an apron without any problems. I havnt used hardware cloth as an apron.

I use chicken wire on all my pens in addition to 36" hardware cloth over the chicken wire going up from the ground all around the sides of the pens.

Snakes, rats, and mice can go through chicken wire. For me, to enclose a pen completely with hardware cloth is cost prohibitive.
It's easier to completely predator proof the chicken coops. It's even tough for mosquitos to get in one of my coops.
I wonder if the green coated chicken wire would hold up at ground level? My hardware cloth is the green coated stuff and it is holding up well. All of them are labeled as galvanized zinc coated, supposed to resist rust.

What is field fence?

This is the green coated kind—

Product Publication Material property Rectangle Font

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
Do you happen to remember which gauge it was? The chicken wire they have at fleet is 20 gauge, and the hardware cloth is 19 gauge.

My chicken coops are very secure, but from what I have read and my experience with turkeys is that they don’t generally like going in a coop at night. They haven’t been in a coop all summer. I am planning to somehow convert my greenhouse for them to have a shelter, but I am not confident that they will sleep in there every night. So, I am going to have to have a decently secure run.
Sorry, no. This was years ago. A racoon found a way in to my guinea coop. Because of time constraints I did the only thing I could at the time and wrapped the whole thing in a double layer of wire. The animal managed to break through the first layer but gave up at the second.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So, I have seen mixed info on chicken wire. Is 20 gage chicken wire/netting tough enough for a turkey run? My other run has 4’ of hardware cloth on the bottom, including a foot on the ground. And then had the larger hole welded wire on the top half. But, I “technically “ have no budget for this project. I am scratching together what I can, so I am looking at using chicken wire on the ground and up the walls instead, even though I loathe the stuff. Any experience? View attachment 42556
No. do not use just chicken wire. Racoon and hawks can easily reach in or break the wire and get in. If you use that, cover It with hardwire cloth. do not trust this wire, it is always not a safe choice.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So maybe I should figure out how to get my electric fence up, and it won’t matter as much if my wire is not as good? I have a charger, some step in posts, and enough of that wide electric horse tape to cover here to kingdom come. I lucked out at a garage sale this year and got rolls upon rolls of the stuff for $20.

I have watched videos and read articles about how to set up an electric fence, but they all confuse me. Maybe I am over-complicating it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Around here we just call that chicken wire. When I think of netting it is not made of metal I guess. However, I have never had issues using chicken wire but the biggest pred with have here is racoons. Foxes and yotes stay clear and I am far enough south that the bears and cougars do not both me.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Around here we just call that chicken wire. When I think of netting it is not made of metal I guess. However, I have never had issues using chicken wire but the biggest pred with have here is racoons. Foxes and yotes stay clear and I am far enough south that the bears and cougars do not both me.
I don’t really understand the names of this stuff! The 20 gauge chicken wire is called poultry “netting” and the 19 gauge wire square stuff is called hardware “cloth.” I have poked and scratched myself more times than I can remember, dripping blood everywhere. There is nothing “cloth-like” about that sharp, evil, metal from you know where. Lol

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I don’t really understand the names of this stuff! The 20 gauge chicken wire is called poultry “netting” and the 19 gauge wire square stuff is called hardware “cloth.” I have poked and scratched myself more times than I can remember, dripping blood everywhere. There is nothing “cloth-like” about that sharp, evil, metal from you know where. Lol
LOL. I can relate. My hands and arms look like I got into a fight with Freddy Krueger after putting up chicken wire and hardware cloth.
Hat Sun hat Headgear Costume hat Event

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, here is the comparison of the two…

The chicken wire seems “okay” but not fantastic. Sigh
Vertebrate Plant Water Organism Gesture

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
Are the turkeys in a secure coop at night? If they are then use the poultry netting. I did with mine because they had safe digs at night.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts