Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to start a broiler coop. Does anybody have one that they could post pics of for some ideas?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I've raised them and have plenty of pics...what kind of pics are you needing and what methods do you wish to use?

·
1,466 Posts
I'm looking for more coop ideas
we have about 20 on the bottom level of out 4 deck mega brooder
they are on broiler pellets.
i have to finish their chicken tractor so i can they can eat all my grass up out back so i don't have to cut it anymore :D

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I brooded and raised mine in a cattle panel hoop coop. Easy and cheap construction and I'm still using it for my layer flock.

I've got a step by step pictorial on the build but if you are looking for a more lightweight and portable coop, there are sites that show a lighter construction cattle panel coop for broiler grow out. They can be easily moved to fresh ground and have the proper ventilation/air flow for these hot birds.

·
1,466 Posts
that is a good looking setup you have there Bee!
i'll have to post pics once mine is finished;)

piglett

I brooded and raised mine in a cattle panel hoop coop. Easy and cheap construction and I'm still using it for my layer flock.

I've got a step by step pictorial on the build but if you are looking for a more lightweight and portable coop, there are sites that show a lighter construction cattle panel coop for broiler grow out. They can be easily moved to fresh ground and have the proper ventilation/air flow for these hot birds.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I made them wide roosting situations out of green plastic fencing slung between two tomato stakes and placed over upturned 5 gal. buckets to make sort of a airy hammock on which to roost. They loved them and I had no birds with the feathers worn off their breasts...kept them cool at night and out of their own droppings. I had very clean birds at processing time.

This also increased total bird space in the coop for meaty birds, as they usually sleep in the bedding, but with the hammocks there they could choose different levels of being and spread out, thus decreasing the heat and humidity in the coop caused by their bodies.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ok, this may sound dumb but I'm just learning, how do you keep predators out of there? Don't skunks/raccoons easily dig underneath or reach in and grab chickens?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oh. My dog is kinda useless for that. I'm thinking about getting a Pyrenees/Marema cross to help out on our developing farm. It gets real cold here so that would be a good breed to keep around over the winter.

·
1,466 Posts
I made them wide roosting situations out of green plastic fencing slung between two tomato stakes and placed over upturned 5 gal. buckets to make sort of a airy hammock on which to roost. They loved them and I had no birds with the feathers worn off their breasts...kept them cool at night and out of their own droppings. I had very clean birds at processing time.

This also increased total bird space in the coop for meaty birds, as they usually sleep in the bedding, but with the hammocks there they could choose different levels of being and spread out, thus decreasing the heat and humidity in the coop caused by their bodies.

how many eggs did you get from those green nest boxes Bee?:D:p:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
If I do broilers again I think I'll wait for cooler weather. Had one die yesterday - I believe it was from the heat, despite the fan and the open area they can use outside in the shade. They just won't come out of the coop. Gets hot in there even with the fan and open window and door. I tried to push one outside today when I was cleaning up poop, and it fought me tooth and nail, and then came right back inside. Crazy.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mine are are 5 weeks old and are between 5 and 6 lbs each. They're so big! They eat all day and poop just as much.... very dirty animals

·
Registered
216 Posts
JC17 said:
Mine are are 5 weeks old and are between 5 and 6 lbs each. They're so big! They eat all day and poop just as much.... very dirty animals
Agreed! They just eat and poop! They even have poop on them - yuck! Mine are six weeks now and are about 6 pounds as well. My husband held a frozen chicken from the freezer down next to one and said they were about the same size. We think we will only keep them another 2-3 weeks. They are huge!

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
They don't have to be that way...it's all in how you raise them. If you just feed them and feed them and don't takes steps to help them maintain mobility, you are going to have lazy, fat and dirty birds.

None of mine were dirty or lazy and they all foraged over 3 acres in 98* weather. I just finished giving a processing demonstration for a lady who raised hers much like I do mine and they were 15 lb live weight at 12 wks and still out foraging every day in the heat...they had gizzards full of grass. All their organs were healthy and they didn't stink...very huge birds.

Mine were very clean, didn't stink and were completely mobile all throughout their lives. I've got video showing them flying, running, foraging far, far from their coop.

Here's some of my first batch, awaiting processing....no dirty birds among 'em:

Here they are free ranging with my DP flock....clean and pretty at 7 wks.

And the last batch...also clean and mobile, smelling sweet all their lives:

·
Banned
825 Posts
What a LAZY looking Dog !!!
( I'm surprised that it hasn't been SHOT for being so LAZY !!! )
----just "kidding you" -----
Ha-Ha !!!

ACTUALLY....It is a FINE-LOOKING DOG !!! ....and I suspect that it is a GREAT HELP to YOU ....as my Boxer is to me !!!

That Dog has a beautiful coat !!!
Best Regards,
-ReTIRED-:D-:)

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
How's this one, Re? :D

That shiny coat is from outdoor livin', exercise, and the occasional egg as reward for a job well done each and every day! :)

Jake says, "YUM!"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts