Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from north central Florida. Just signed up to learn as much as possible about the birds BEFORE I bring any home. I have learned a lot already this is a reat site.
Gypsy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome! You are gonna love raising them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Martha, thank you for the welcome. We are heading to our new place today, in an hour or less. that is where we will have the coop. I am retired and a life long animal lover..so excited to start, but now wise enough to wait till they will be safe. the place is in a forest and there is a hawk and owl that is there at alltimes. we even see eagles at times. so looking at electric fence and we have a 10x10x6H dog run I plan to add to a shed. You have so many...so far I am most interested in Orphs, barred rock and about 4 others..no banties for me. may start a few heritage turkeys. Bourbon reds..not sure about the royalpalms now that I read about a turkey saddle! are they kidding me?? aww that is sad, the males spurs etc another thing to cut off! Later, be back on Sunday PM.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello Martha, thank you for the welcome. We are heading to our new place today, in an hour or less. that is where we will have the coop. I am retired and a life long animal lover..so excited to start, but now wise enough to wait till they will be safe. the place is in a forest and there is a hawk and owl that is there at alltimes. we even see eagles at times. so looking at electric fence and we have a 10x10x6H dog run I plan to add to a shed. You have so many...so far I am most interested in Orphs, barred rock and about 4 others..no banties for me. may start a few heritage turkeys. Bourbon reds..not sure about the royalpalms now that I read about a turkey saddle! are they kidding me?? aww that is sad, the males spurs etc another thing to cut off! Later, be back on Sunday PM.
Well good luck, looks like, you have really given everything a lot of thought, and I do believe you will do real well. As to my chickens the number always changes and I have not updated in my numbers in a while, I have several different ages and also breeds. I keep the larger breeds separate from the smaller breeds. Right now they are mixed but when I want to breed I will separate a few for my projects. Take care and nice talking to you.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi! Welcome aboard the forum and joining chickenland. You're going to be so addicted the moment those peeps arrive! I have 3 Barred Rock's I got as day old chickes almost 3 years ago. They've been very hardy, family friendly, and Tillie follows me everywhere. She also demands lap time. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome, neighbor. We are in Nassau County near the state line.
We also use 6' high chainlink dog kennels for our flocks. You can get shadecloth tops for these kennels that stretch flat across the top and you just fasten the grommets to the top rails with zip-ties. This will help give overhead security. Lowes and Home Depot have these, and also tarp kits that make a peaked roof for weather protection. I put home made wood and wire hootches inside, where the birds are put up for the night.
We have several of these kennels inside an area 40 X 60, chainlink also, and we let out a flock per day to roam, rotating flocks so the roosters don't argue.
We have owls and hawks around as well. I have seen our resident red shouldered hawk perched on the top of the fence looking at the hens, which really freaks out our birds, but he has never bothered them. Maybe it's because they are full grown.
We have more trouble with possums. The red foxes don't even try, since we went to the chain link. When all we had was 6 foot chicken wire we lost birds on a regular basis.

My wife and I are life long animal lovers as well. We have three horses, all rescues. And we have always had dogs, also all rescues from the pound or the side of the road where they were dumped (got 5 right now).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts