Chicken Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to this chicken stuff so hoping someone can help. :confused:

I have a brood of 9 ex battery hens - alla round 2 years old. We got them back in January and they have come on leaps and bounds. All looking very lovely with feathers all regrown and beaks down. They are lovely girls and so friendly.:D

One of our friends was looking to rehome her Polish Bantam Rooster - he is a handsome boy and 9 months old. Our friend had said integrating a rooster isnt as difficult as integrating a hen so it should be ok just to put him in with the girls but after releasing him last night a few of my girls have tried to attack him. 2 of them even tried to block him from getting into the coop at night. He managed to sneak past and they did all settle into the coop quite quickly with no noises of shuving, etc. But this morning we are back to them running away from him/chasing him with even our Daisy who is bottom of the pecking order usually having a go at him. :mad:

Can anyone tell me how we can do a better job of integrating them? :confused: They have the run of the full garden today so lots of room for them to stear clear of each other. I have a dog crate we had used to house one of the girls for reintegration when she was out for a few days sick. Would his be helpful for him? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
You hit on it, the dog crate. It an be easier introducing a male but it sounds like your girls are not going in that direction. For two years they've ruled their roost, kept things in order. Now there's an interloper in their flock and they're not happy about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robyn. We will give that a giuy for a few days and see if it helps.

We had thought about perhaps getting a couple younger girls for him and integrate them in the same way. Will see how we get on with this first I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts