Chicken Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
The plan is for the big birds to want it, it'll give them another option so they're not packed on their current perch and the peeps have their own space as well.
Mine have six perches, they all pack onto two. They have six nest boxes, right now they use two. And I have a turkey hen who made a nest in the neighbor's boat.

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
Genuine LOL at the turkey hen. Now what? Is the neighbor OK with her remaining there?

It's true. My Guineas have two ultra long perches, they all gather on one and fuss at each other when they think someone has the better spot. Then they yell and scream when they can't get their way.

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
OM, my hubs always complained that he was overrun with females around him. There was him and I and the critters.

When we found the three male puppies he never said anything again.

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
Genuine LOL at the turkey hen. Now what? Is the neighbor OK with her remaining there?

It's true. My Guineas have two ultra long perches, they all gather on one and fuss at each other when they think someone has the better spot. Then they yell and scream when they can't get their way.
The neighbor needs the use of their boat. I moved her nest, she sat on it yesterday but abandoned it today. The eggs are in the incubator.

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
I can't wait to hear where she chooses next. At least you have her eggs to hatch.

Last night the Guineas were beyond making a racket. I could hear them in the house. I went out and yelled at them, they got quiet for a moment then started again. I went out, went in there pen told them to shut up, they did. I think they can see better in the dark than we think, everytime I turned my back to walk out they'd start again.

Last time I turned on the light. About half of the roost was empty, two of them were on the landing board that runs perpendicular to the roost. They wanted that end of the roost and no one was going to give it to them.

·
Super Moderator
3,484 Posts
I candled the turkey eggs, 15 of the 16 were developing. The hatch rate for my quail was about sixty percent, I have 10 Tibetan babies and 1 Celadon. I'll try to get a pic later today.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I added a third perch, the chickens all chose their normal spots. Big birds on the tall perch, peeps on the small.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Tail Feather seems to have figured out that being first to the coop means good perch spots as well! Ever since we introduced our new pullets (14 weeks old now) she hasn't been spending much time with her 11-month-old sisters. We often find her grazing by herself or chasing the little ones (they are getting more confident around the hens but still prefer to keep their distance to avoid being pecked). It seems like Tail Feather is low on the pecking order and is avoiding confrontation. Is it likely that she and the pullets will get along once the younger birds grow some more or is there something else I can do?

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
There's no way to know. They've got their own personalities so they have to work things out for themselves.

About the only way to possibly give Tailfeather a buddy is to put her and one other together for a while so they bond. I'm not sure how successful that would be though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The little ones are 14 weeks and nearly as big as the 11-month-olds. When we introduced them we let them free range together and when a couple of days went by without any problems we put them in the coop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I had to introduce my newer babies to my older hens, I let them walk around with each other in the yard, of corse under my supervision, eventually after a week of just me making sure they were ok with each other while roaming, I did not watch them anymore. As they get older a little bit of fighting is to be expected as they claim their spots and rearrange the pecking order

61 - 80 of 83 Posts