Chicken Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
I moved the chicks into the coop, they seem to be ok just being on the perch now but I'll leave the box in for another day to see if they still want it. However, all of the big girls are on the other perch and both groups clearly prefer to be kept separate, with the small ones afraid to go up the ramp at night due to the big birds being next to it going up themselves.
I've had that situation before. Check immediately after dusk to make sure everyone is in and settled down/settling down. It takes a few days or a week to sort out the perch hierarchy. Robin likes my big roo Goliath, he doesn't block the door but he plops down in front of it. The chicks still get in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
One of my hens has gotten really aggressive since we introduced the chicks. She puffs up a lot and makes barking sounds, chases the cheeps (they know to avoid the big girls because of her, hence not going up the ramp), and today I saw her attack poor Tail Feather (another hen) unprovoked and rip out a couple of her feathers. Is there anything I can do to get her to calm down?

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Any chance the hen is going broody? If it keeps up you might have to isolate her to teach her that her behavior isn't OK.

And PJ is right, I do have a thing for his giant rooster Goliath. He's a trip.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I thought she might be going broody but there are never that many eggs for her to sit on, she stays on the eggs a bit longer than normal but doesn't insist on sitting on them all day. Their breed isn't really known for it either. It would be rather unfortunate to have introduced the babies right before a hen going broody though. Goliath sounds like a very sweet roo if even the chicks aren't scared of him.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
It's really not the number of eggs, it's the hormones. Even birds not known for going broody can go broody. My Coturnix quail aren't supposed to go broody but I've had two of them sitting on eggs this year.

If she's not broody you might have to remove her for a while for an attitude adjustment. Especially if going after Tail Feather is an unusual occurrence.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
How would I know whether or not she is broody? Any tips for how to separate her since I usually let them all free range?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hahaha what Robin said. I have one who can’t seem to make up her mind. She acts it, but she hasn’t stuck to any one spot yet. My actual broody- well, here....

She gets super puffy and fussy if you come close, and normally she’s a cuddle-bug.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Oh she does plan on letting her hatch them. She's another one of us that is addicted and uses chicken math. Sort of like you Irina, growing her flock.

You know I just realized something. I don't think she ever said she planned on having X number and that was it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I'm constrained by space and legal limits so my little flock of 10 is probably it for me but it's a wonderful world of birds out there.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Is that a good thing that you can only have ten? Would you be another one of us that sees a different one or a different color and has to have a couple of them to add to the flock?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I would definitely pick up some other breeds but the family pointed out that many other breeds are more visible to predators while our black sexlinks are able to camouflage in the bushes. They lay consistently too.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Ground predators use their noses. Airborn use visuals but even birds that are colors that should blend are still spotted when in the open. I can see staying with colors that are less visible. Just having them in the yard is enjoyment no matter the color.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The peeps made it into the coop and onto the perch by themselves, the big girls went into the run to eat and the babies thought it was time to go up to sleep. The two sets of birds don't get along if any big birds are on the short perch, they end up moving to the window perch with the others. We have a branch about 3-4 inches in diameter that I want to install as additional perch space.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
They're already figuring it out. And the big girls are being very good at allowing them to share the space.

Now we just need to know what the one girl's issue is. It might have been as simple as Tail Feather overstepping her bounds and the head girl letting her know about it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hey now! I resemble the way you’re talking about me!

Heck yes, if she can successfully hatch even a couple of these I will be thrilled- I do, genuinely, need a few more ladies in that coop! 2 roos and 3 girls isn’t going to work long term (I mean, I guess it would, but they’ll be happier w a few more) and they’re not interested in accepting anybody else new into their clique. Weirdos.

Congrats on the integration! They’ll all be buddies before you know it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hopefully, a new perch will give everybirdy some breathing room at night and they'll all get along a bit better. I did have to move a couple of big birds to the taller perch as they didn't want to be near the babies and the babies didn't want to be near them.

And I hope Overmountain's hen manages to hatch mostly girls!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The plan is for the big birds to want it, it'll give them another option so they're not packed on their current perch and the peeps have their own space as well.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts