Chicken Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think she's the dominant hen, I love her but she's very silly. Jumped over the fence twice today, none of my chickens have escaped more than once in a day until now. She survived a raccoon attack though so I can't complain.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
LOL I suspected there was a little bit of not wanting to let them grow up too fast hiding in there. Nothing wrong with that. This is the time to be able to enjoy their babyness.

Really, they should be fine when it's time to join the big birds. They've all met each other out free ranging so they aren't total strangers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I want to move them in but the family has concerns... I put them in the coop while the big girls were heading up to perch, the big girls didn't seem to mind much but the peeps were rather upset at being away from their box while it was dark. I'm curious how they'll feel when their box is in the coop.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I offered the older birds their brooder box when they moved in, they all ended up on the perch their second night but I'm sure it helped them adjust. I expect it'll help the new peeps as well but if they complain I'll take them back inside. How cold is safe for them though? I generally see 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Do you know how many times we had to talk people out of putting their peeps out in 40 degrees when they were only a month old?

This is refreshing to have someone concerned that it's not warm enough. My suggestion is going to be, put them out when you're comfortable for them to be out there. You know your climate better than any of us. The birds have all been introduced so they should get on pretty well once they officially move in.

There is no time schedule you have to meet.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I should think, especially with the box so they’re still able to pile together as needed, they should be fine down to at least 55-ish degrees? You know it always depends- a wet cloudy windy day at 55 feels cold compared a sunny day w no wind; so it really isn’t an exact number or science. So, as Robin helpfully reminded us, we should just do what we are comfortable with, even if some others might do it differently.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It's dry and not windy especially in the coop but it gets as low as 50 so I think I'll wait until they're 6 weeks. Thank you!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It suddenly got colder so the peeps are going to be inside for a couple more days. I'm a little concerned about how they're going to coexist with the big chickens. When the babies were sitting on the older girls' perch, one of the big girls jumped up next to them and they immediately jumped down and ran away. So far there hasn't been any serious fighting but the little ones are so scared when the hens are too close.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yep! It’s far better when they’re shy/timid coming into a flock than combative! What Robin said though, it’s to be expected. Pecking order is real and to us looks and sounds awful—— but they’re fine, with some exceptions. And you’ll know.

If you are always the one standing up for a chicken then the others may eventually perceive them as a likely target when you’re away, so.... as hard as it is, try not to step in unless you have to. And it is hard sometimes to watch them being chased around and squawking and flapping and making a general ruckus.... but they’re all just Darmatic chickens.

*term coined from our chicken Darma, named so because she is so dramatic- the word became darmatic, instead, here at our home pretty quickly!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I try not to intervene with the fights amongst the big birbs unless it's especially violent, the peeps are pretty good about keeping their distance from the older ones as mentioned. I just hope they feel comfortable jumping up to the perch at night while the big girls are asleep.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yeah, I have two perches but there are generally a couple of hens sleeping there. Maybe I'll install a third one especially since they'll need room as they grow.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Everyone listens to the dominant hen. If they don't then there's a discussion about who isn't listening. She's going to let them know she's boss but doesn't actually have to do anything for them to know.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm going to put the peeps in the coop tonight, they'll have their box but I'll leave an opening for them to jump out that's still too small for the big girls. It's going to be 50 F as opposed to the 70 they normally sleep in but at six weeks and a bit I think they can handle it as they've been outside during the day in weather that wasn't much warmer.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
You can listen after dark. If they're struggling with it being cooler they'll cry about it.

I think Mom is having a tough time letting go. No, I know better. You want this transition to go smoothly for them so that this is where they want to be.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I moved the chicks into the coop, they seem to be ok just being on the perch now but I'll leave the box in for another day to see if they still want it. However, all of the big girls are on the other perch and both groups clearly prefer to be kept separate, with the small ones afraid to go up the ramp at night due to the big birds being next to it going up themselves.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
I can't tell you how long the ramp thing will go on. It might work if you try putting the peeps in first then let the big girls go in. They might learn to head in early.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts