Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Are they babies?

What is the weather like in your area?

Do you have a pond area or will you be using a kiddie pool?

(Sorry ... just need a little more info. :))

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a problem. I live in western Michigan. And it will be a pool. I want them to stay around so I am considering a coop or sorts. Not sure, I went to pick up chicks and came home with a two ducks as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If they r little I would say...when they r about 2-3 weeks old I would gently dip them in Luke warm bath tub and see what they do...if they don't like it then take them out and wait a few days and try again

If the ducks r older wait till a nice day and take a kiddie pool/pond and make sure the water is not to cold or not to hot....when u find a nice day and nice water then gently dip them in water and if they don't like it then take um out

Also if they r older then I would make /buy a chicken tractor with...put It half on land and half water...make a divider ...the first day don't put the divider in..second day put it in and divide off 2-3 inches..third day= divide 2-3 more inches ect...(make sure u take away the land)

Have fun!
Olivia

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok perfect. I will give them a few days and then I will try. I have been told the water should be 95 degrees. Is this a about right.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Not a problem. I live in western Michigan. And it will be a pool. I want them to stay around so I am considering a coop or sorts. Not sure, I went to pick up chicks and came home with a two ducks as well.
I would wait till they feather out and then give them a little pool time. (a little at a time)

Ducks love water ... no matter the temps. but you must easy them into the change of the (air) temps.

We have had babies with their mother to hit our pond with ice on it. :eek:They had a blast but they had mom to look after them. ;) A baby born in cooler temps with mom has a better time than with a false mom. (heat lamp mom)

I would say easy them into it ...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I was thinking a tub if water. 75 degrees ish. And let them explore. With the tub just hardly full so there is dry part and then some water in the other end. I am gathering that as long as it is at their pace it should be ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts