Intoducing the roo to hens

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by BootedBantam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but running out of time. How do I introduce new hens to roo? Do I wait until they settle in their new home, or just let nature take it's course? The hens will be in the coop, while he lives on the porch. I was planning on leaving coop door open and see what happens. Getting nervous!!

2. kejmack

kejmack New Member

When I need to introduce new chickens to my flock, I do it at night. After they have all gone to bed, I take the new chicken and put them in the coop. It seems that they all wake up in the morning and accept the newcomer more readily. Of course, they still need to work out their "pecking order" but generally things work out smoothly.

3. BootedBantam

Waiting on a girl to get home from sheep show to call with chickens...waiting on pins and needles!! Spent $46 on permit, $43 on layer pellets, scratch, and waterbowl. My man is gonna have a fit when he finds out how much I spent today!! Have to go clean house, plan an awesome dinner, ( so he don't freak ) and prepare for my chickens....Thank you everyone for being so helpful. Pics up when I get them!!

Oh yeah, my daughter says to me this morning "Mom, why are we getting two chickens? We just had two parakeets die on us, why are you getting more birds?"

These chickens are bigger honey and they are gonna make mommy happy!!

4. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

yall are nice, i throw them in the coop and yell SURVIVEEEEEEE.. ITS A GAME>> winner gets corn!.. hahaha

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Does Man have a name? Or is he just Man?

6. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

You really want to do it slowly. I would put the one chicken so that they can see each other, but with chicken wire between them, so they can't fight. I would keep them that way for 5 to 7 days so they can see each other and talk and then let them together. This way they will work things out with words and there will be less blood.

Chickens can make a LOT of blood!!

7. BootedBantam

I shall call him man for now...he doesn't want me giving out too much info. He calls himself my man, that's why I say it like that. LOL Hen girl never called, so no hens yet.

Blood doesn't bother me, pen hecking is nature, natural selection. Not thrilled, never seen it?

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I saw a crowded pen, when I was a kid. One little poult was being pecked non-stop. They were going for blood. I was around 8 or 9 I guess. It was terrible. I'll never forget how bad I felt but I was a kid and they weren't my chickens.

9. Jeremysbrinkman

Jeremysbrinkman New Member

I still think one rooster and a harem of hens can be introduced easily by just putting them together. He is just going to show his dominance by ruling the roost. After all he is just a man and will be interested in only one thing. ;-)

10. cindy

cindy New Member

I add all newcomers slowly.....in a separate pen then after about 3 weeks of seeing each other I put the new ones in the coop after the others are in for the evening.
    its worked out well for me.

11. BootedBantam

Oh, I know I have a horny rooster sitting on my front porch. I cleaned out the shed and put in a small dog kennel to throw him in if he starts crowing like a madmen again. (rooster witness relocation) I tried to explain to him that he is going to have wait a little bit longer for the girls. Poor roo!!

I have also heard every rooster joke there is from my friends and man. I have a friend who comments roo crap everytime I post on facebook, he turns the words around. My man is kinda funny, too. Every time I mention the roo, he says You mean the the cock., right. Men? I think the only reason I get to keep the roo is so he can hear himself say the word.....anyhoo, need to go make some calls, still haven't got hens!!

~ confessions of a clueless chicken lady :) ~

12. BootedBantam

Found someone who had beautiful birds, worth the drive. Got a little chicken 101 advice, truely enjoyed the visit. Came home with two Blue Splash Bantams. Turns out that is what my roo is. If I had room, I would have gotten a flock!! here are the pics of the arrival. It was beautiful to watch, the white one is in love with him, following him around...they are cooing and so loveable! Happy Chicken Mom!

Attached Files:

13. BootedBantam

chicken love

Attached Files:

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Oh, you did well! Horray for the happy trio. And Outlaw is totally taken with his new friends. Chickens are meant to have friends.

15. BootedBantam

Family photo

Attached Files:

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

You must be beside yourself with happiness. Good for you and Outlaw. Oh and that man too. Lol

17. cogburn

cogburn New Member

That's great !! He looks tickled. Congrats to the both of you..

18. BootedBantam

Thank you everyone. What a beautiful today at "The Outlaw's Hideout" They all bonded instantly, and it did not take him long to get his roo time. Came out after dinner and saw National Geographic at its finest!! They are all nesting together in the top bunk, dang adorable!! The things I have done for this rooster!! I understand chicken love now and why some people spoil these little adorable chickens!

19. teddy

teddy Scrambled Eggs

I free range with a roost. I have a second cage for the chicks. Once they get feathers I turn them out after dawn. At dusk they came back to the cage. When they got big enough I kept the cage door closed at dusk. The first night they went right to the main flocks roost and jump right in with no fear. All I had to do is close the door. I have 5 roost bars. The hens kicked them off of the bar. But the rooster just let them stay. But my morning they were part of the main flock.