Chicken Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Last night they were with the ladies and although they are still timid around them, they are starting to come closer to them. since this is my first time with chickens and having both pullets and almost adults, perhaps that is the pecking order.

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
2,175 Posts
Many of you know that I recently purchased 2 new chicks to add to my 2 ladies (will be a year in Oct). My babies Daphne and Elvira will be 3 mos this week.

Currently, they are sleeping in a Rubbermaid container in the chicken run which they now go to sleep in on their own. They are almost the same height as my ladies. I believe the ladies are used to them as I noticed that they don’t chase them except when they think there is food involved. The babies are coming closer to them but still run if the ladies walk toward them.

I am not sure how to get them used to the coop. In the past, I just put my ladies in their for a few days with the door closed to get them used to the safety of the coop. It was the winter so I didn’t have heat to worry about.

Now, the ladies are laying and the nesting box is part of the coop. So, doing the same thing with the babies isn’t really an option.

I believe the only thing that I can do, is put them in the coop after all the flock have went to bed and calmed down. Am I correct in this?

thx For the help.
How long hs it been

21 - 25 of 25 Posts