Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you know that I recently purchased 2 new chicks to add to my 2 ladies (will be a year in Oct). My babies Daphne and Elvira will be 3 mos this week.

Currently, they are sleeping in a Rubbermaid container in the chicken run which they now go to sleep in on their own. They are almost the same height as my ladies. I believe the ladies are used to them as I noticed that they don’t chase them except when they think there is food involved. The babies are coming closer to them but still run if the ladies walk toward them.

I am not sure how to get them used to the coop. In the past, I just put my ladies in their for a few days with the door closed to get them used to the safety of the coop. It was the winter so I didn’t have heat to worry about.

Now, the ladies are laying and the nesting box is part of the coop. So, doing the same thing with the babies isn’t really an option.

I believe the only thing that I can do, is put them in the coop after all the flock have went to bed and calmed down. Am I correct in this?

thx For the help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, for 4 nights now, I have (with help of hubby) been taking the babies from the container to the coop to sleep. Last night, I did watch and observe that Daphne headed towards the coop several times but both chicks slept in the container. I watched last night to ensure that the ladies were harassing them and I didn't observe anything. The ladies were towards the front and the babies were laying in the back. This is taking much longer than when I first got the ladies. I am hoping that in a few more days, the babies will feel more comfortable and go in the coop. I watch during the day and do not notice the ladies harassing them like before. They will run towards where the babies were fed and then the babies scatter. Any advice? I am really hoping that this gets resolved before Oct.;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is supposed to be large enough for at least 4 birds. My dilemma is my other ladies are laying and the way the coop is designed, I would have to close the door which would prevent my ladies from entering.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the last 4 days, with the help of my hubby, we have went and removed them from the container and put them in the coop with the girls. The go out each morning when the automatic door opens. I just took the container out and will monitor again tonight. Here is what the Eglu Coop says:
The Eglu Cube is the perfect hen house for all types of chicken keepers, whether you’ve got a large existing flock or have just started with a few hens but are already planning to expand.
The coop is perfect for the following flock sizes:
Up to 10 bantams or
Up to 8 medium size hens or
Up to 6 large breed hens

The rear door panel easily lifts off to give your full access to the inside, where you’ll find everything you and your chickens need. Draft free ventilation, a separate deep nesting box, perfectly rounded roosting bars, a handy egg port and a safe, lockable door.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx for the concern.

I think you are referring to the run space. I bought the largest extension, had my neighbor build a larger run, and then they free range. I only planned on having 3 ladies but when Polko died, I bought Elvira and Daphne as I have read not to buy just 1 chick due to harassment.

inside, there should be enough for 4 hens but I personally wouldn’t have more than that. Personally, I like my ladies to be as comfortable as I would be.

I took the container out as I thought they would just keep going back to it. I will monitor tonight.

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
They will keep going back to it. Chickens are worse than us humans about change. They don't like it.

The concern is, what happens if they have to be kept up due to weather? Being cramped together for any period of time they can turn on each other. Or stop laying. Or become overly stressed.

That's the only reason I even mentioned it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They will keep going back to it. Chickens are worse than us humans about change. They don't like it.

The concern is, what happens if they have to be kept up due to weather? Being cramped together for any period of time they can turn on each other. Or stop laying. Or become overly stressed.

That's the only reason I even mentioned it.
Yes, I have thought about that as well. Right now, there are 2 groups (ladies and babies). I am hoping by time frost hits, they will become 1.

Since we are supposed to have a snowy and cold winter. I am planning on doing is putting alfalfa on the ground to help keep it warm for their feet. Do you have any other suggestions that I could do?

I never get offended when someone is trying to help me; I welcome and appreciate any help.

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
Covering part of your run in heavy clear plastic will give them a good place to be out of the wind and cold. And should keep the snow out if it's not blowing towards the open end.

I would use straw. It's less likely to mold. They also love digging through it. If you scatter some favorite seed on it, that could keep them busy for hours. And hopefully, cheaper than the alfalfa. I did use alfalfa as a treat for my birds. But indoors where they'd scarf down the leaves and leave the rest for me to clean up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Water Plant People in nature Grass Landscape

This is the coop set up. This winter, I will put another tarp over the bare spots on the run. The fence around it is there run. Please excuse my fingers; was too lazy to go outside. Thx for heads up in the alfalfa hay.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Praise God report..
My babies went in the coop last night on their own:) No more getting on my knees, putting them in the coop, and waiting for the door to close. They probably thought to themselves; let's do this on our own as I can't stand her singing to us any longer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't get too excited, grasshopper. This was just a test. Tonight or the next night they're going to thumb their beaks at you.
U r so smart. Last night, it was as though they didn’t know where the door was. In fact, I had to show them and by this time the door had closed. Calming down my excitement.😣

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, you were right. Just when I thought it was safe to visit my sister out of town; the babies had something else in mind.

I came home to hear that they were on the coop inside of inside😞. Fast forward. There are days that they both try to sleep on top, one may make it inside while the other is on top, or they both go inside.

I even bought a cheap coop for them as they are still afraid of the ladies and keep their distance from both me and the ladies. I figured they are scared of me due to the fact that I am the one getting them off the coop and putting them inside.

I will continue to try and train them but it is harder to do with food due to the ladies.

I guess this is Gods way of teaching me patience.🙂

1 - 20 of 25 Posts