Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my neighbors can't keep their dog contained and it broke into my barn. Killed one duck and hurt another. She has a fairly large puncture wound. I'd say2 1/2in wide and fairly deep. It's right lateral below her crop. She seems to breathing ok and drinking. I've cleaned it out and put some antibiotic ointment on it. Any other suggestions? Going to get antibiotics right now and some electrolytes.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Keep doing what you're doing. Make sure the duck stays calm and still. Seperate her from the flock so they don't pick at the wound. Sounds like you're doing a good job so far

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Like the others, separate her. I would also seal her wound after making sure its clean. You could put some triple antibiotic in it then blu-kote it. Now another thing is I would be having a talk with the neighbor! If the are unresponsive I would be having a talk with authorities about the dog at large and the fact that it killed your livestock/pet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well she is still hanging in there. I did clean out her would and close it up with super glue. I kept a pressure wrap on her to hopefully influence all that negative space. She has been having green poo. A response to the antibiotics? I did talk to my neighbor. I was not happy. They are very irresponsible with their animals. Especially considering they have a wolf hybrid. He can just dig right out of his enclosure. She offered to get another duck but I'd rather her learn to contain her dogs so I don't have to keep my poor ducks penned up all day

1 - 6 of 6 Posts