Chicken Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
If you think those two eggs are going to hatch you need to leave it be for now. Humidity might be high for peep but until it has a pal I'd leave it in there for now.

Have you candled?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I candled them about a week ago. they were fine. but I'm feeling like they won't hatch. cause I don't see any crack.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
Put the egg up to your ear. Make sure you don't have any hair in the way and listen. You want to hear quiet peeping or scratching going on in the egg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Put the egg up to your ear. Make sure you don't have any hair in the way and listen. You want to hear quiet peeping or scratching going on in the egg.
man. I think they are gone. no sound. just candled it after that. it's grown in full size but not moving at all. so sad :(

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
OK, if you want to double check put a small hole in the wide end of the egg. Big enough that you can look in to see movement.

I don't know how many people I've read that discarded eggs into the trash to hear peeping later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
hm dead. i made a big hole actually. damn. they were in full size. no yolk left. that means they died at the very last moment. what can be the possible reason? I think it's my fault. I handled the eggs a lot. also there was a 6 hour power outage in my area for some maintenance. my ips could not back it up for about two hours. that can be a reason too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Not a successful hatch. I guess I have to do it again with being more careful. also with the updated design.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
I'm sorry. It might not have been you or your setup. Talk to your cousin to see how his hatches have gone. If he has a low hatch rate then it's genetic. Which would mean something isn't right genetically about the parents.

Now go get a peep for your single or it will drive you stark raving mad with it's pitiful cries.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yeah I already talked to my friend to give me two chicks. they are white leghorns i guess. my chick is a local breed. can they live together?

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
Probably, as long as they are as young as yours. If they are older it's going to be a problem to bring two older birds in. Might be better just to bring in one older bird.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
yeah. I thought so. His chicks are about 20 days old. So, I told him to get two newly born chicks. will be great if he can manage it. else I have to get one chick from his farm

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
If he can get you day old, it would be best. The three can grow up together and form a flock. Twenty days is probably too old even as a single.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
gotcha. what about the temperature and humidity for now? also when do I start feeding it?
As Robin said, you really need at least two chicks. There are so many variables in the questions you asked, it is going to be difficult to give you good advice when we don't know the type of locale you are in. Perhaps you could start with talking to local people who have poultry. Also are there any farm stores, animal feed mills or stores which sell animal supplies or medicines? Veterinary offices might be able to get you someone to talk to. I guess you could even talk to a pet shop owner, they might be able to point you to poultry people. When I started with Emus, it was critical that I found people who could guide me on proper care. Where I am in Ohio, U.S. for example, many years ago, I had an Ohio state agricultural official tell me that if my Emus ever got any disease, the state would destroy them. The local veterinarians did not treat them or offer advice, so what to do? Eventually, I found two farms which had Emus and both were very happy to share advice.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
I don't know if Tanvir mentioned it in this post or not but his cousin raises chickens so he does have a source for information.

What's really fun about this is he wasn't interested in chickens. He built and incubator to see if he can build a large one for his cousin. Now that a peep has hatched he's changed his mind.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
Tell me more. What did it say before you used the VPN? I've noticed our spam filter is being really picky about IPs lately. Your static IP might be the issue.

·
Administrator
19,752 Posts
That's the forum doing that. I've seen it on one of the other forums the company owns. The only thing I can think of is that you hit it just right when you used the VPN.

When you have issues if you post them in the Announcements forum those that get a paycheck will see it. The get notices sent. I'm one of those that actually participates on the forum and sees them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I brought a 4 days old chick for it. But it's a total disaster. They are not friendly to each other. I'm afraid if one of them get killed. :(

41 - 60 of 69 Posts