Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was incubating some chicken eggs for a few days and they were growing. Today the incubator suddenly turned off and I did not notice. I want to know if the eggs are still alive. The turn off period was not more than 2 hours. Please someone tell me how long they can live without heat.

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
They should be fine. Especially considering where you live.

Did it turn off or did someone cut the power to it?

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
I had to go back and look at your original post. Is this the completed incubator that you're using? Have you done any other hatches before this one?

And more importantly, is all well with you and your family?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They should be fine. Especially considering where you live.

Did it turn off or did someone cut the power to it?
I don't know how it got turned off. Maybe there was a loose connection somewhere or some bug in the control algorithm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to go back and look at your original post. Is this the completed incubator that you're using? Have you done any other hatches before this one?

I am glad that you remember me. My first hatch was failure. Because my idiot friend supplied me infertile eggs :p . This is my 2nd try

I am glad that you remember me. My first try was failure. Because my idiot friend supplied me infertile eggs :p . This is my 2nd try and I was very happy to see all of the eggs growing and that happened. Everything is well with me and my family. How about you?

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
Sometimes when a name is just unusual enough I remember what makes them a bit different.

Your idiot friend? LOL Is this the one you were going to build a big incubator for? That was you, wasn't it?

Things are good here. I've been following what is happening in your country with the virus. It's heartbreaking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes when a name is just unusual enough I remember what makes them a bit different.

Your idiot friend? LOL Is this the one you were going to build a big incubator for? That was you, wasn't it?

Things are good here. I've been following what is happening in your country with the virus. It's heartbreaking.
Yeah you are right. I am that person :). The eggs were too dark to see inside. So, I wasted 21 days from my life. Surprisingly the eggs were fine and ate them xD. I had to stop this project because of the lock-down and also I was busy with a research work. Situation is still not fine here. Yes it's heartbreaking. But it's getting better.

I am a bit relieved after your positive reply. But how long the eggs can survive without heat considering about 28 degree Celsius room temperature?

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
Actually they can survive for quite a few hours. Because the incubator is closed and insulated the eggs don't lose warmth very quickly.

I think one of our forum members had his power out for 8 hours but still had a successful hatch.

Just keep doing what you're doing to stay safe and not catch this thing. Even though things are better in the states I'm still using quite a bit of caution.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually they can survive for quite a few hours. Because the incubator is closed and insulated the eggs don't lose warmth very quickly.

I think one of our forum members had his power out for 8 hours but still had a successful hatch.

Just keep doing what you're doing to stay safe and not catch this thing. Even though things are better in the states I'm still using quite a bit of caution.
Thanks a lot. I will let you know if they are hatched successfully.

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
LOL Under the cover of dark so they didn't know you were collecting them?

We do get to see different breeds that we don't have here and usually are fascinated by them.

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
Then it's probably good that things had to slow down while you find where the problem is and make the necessary changes to avoid your friend having an incubator full of eggs failing. He probably wouldn't be your friend for long after that.

Well, you're the one that said you collected them in the village. I could just see you going house to house and snatching an egg here an egg there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then it's probably good that things had to slow down while you find where the problem is and make the necessary changes to avoid your friend having an incubator full of eggs failing. He probably wouldn't be your friend for long after that.

Well, you're the one that said you collected them in the village. I could just see you going house to house and snatching an egg here an egg there.
slow down? are you making fun of me? the problem was in the relay (kind of electromagnetic switch). I knocked the relay gently and it started again. That's how I knew that thing was damaged. I quickly changed the relay now it's working fine. Relays usually get damaged if they are switched frequently. But didn't realize that it will happen so fast. Anyway I have to change the whole design to use something solid state device like optotriac instead of a relay.

True that I collected them from my village. But I went to only one house and that was my cousin's house. Also I didn't snatch anything. I just asked him to give me some fertile eggs.

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
Nah, I'm referring to the virus forcing you to slow the development of your new incubator.

I didn't know that about relays. Are their different types? Aren't relays used in different things that are frequent off and on? I'm thinking about well pumps right now although the switch may not be considered a relay.

Really, it was more fun picturing you sneaking up and collecting an egg here and there.

When the heck do you sleep? It's getting pretty late there now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nah, I'm referring to the virus forcing you to slow the development of your new incubator.

I didn't know that about relays. Are their different types? Aren't relays used in different things that are frequent off and on? I'm thinking about well pumps right now although the switch may not be considered a relay.

Really, it was more fun picturing you sneaking up and collecting an egg here and there.

When the heck do you sleep? It's getting pretty late there now.
Relays are not reliable for frequent switching. Because it has mechanical parts inside it. In well pump you can use relay. It doesn't need to be switched hundreds of times a day. But at some point it will break. Maybe a few years.

My sleeping time is unusual. It's 6:14 PM here now. I am on vacation now. So, I sleep whenever I feel like. lol

·
Administrator
19,621 Posts
OK, that makes sense. Do you have something solid state to use or will you have to wait until things are more normal there?

Not as late as I thought it would be. It's 7:30 AM here. So, the beginning of my day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, that makes sense. Do you have something solid state to use or will you have to wait until things are more normal there?

Not as late as I thought it would be. It's 7:30 AM here. So, the beginning of my day.
I have optotriacs in my collection. But it needs additional circuitry to operate. I don't have all the components to build that circuit. Optotriacs can be switched several hundred times per second. So it's more than reliable for this application. The circuit is just complicated and adds some cost. However, it's better than risking a whole batch of 1000 eggs. I don't have plan to work on it right now. I will do it after the ongoing hatch.

Good morning!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts