Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New to incubating eggs. I currently have 12 Rouen duck eggs.

A thermometer, which I'd previously thought to be accurate, turned out to be far from it. On day 1, when I believed my eggs to be at 99.5, they were in fact somewhere around 104 for approximately 15 hours. I realize this is of course far too hot.

I corrected the temperature using multiple different thermometers.

Do you think these eggs have any chance of making it, or did I certainly botch this? Curious about your thoughts.Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
That's a long time to be that hot. The only way you'll know for sure is at the first candling.

I won't say it's not possible because it is possible that one or more survived.

Please holler back after the first candling. I'd really like to know if they survive.

·
Super Moderator
3,263 Posts
Hi everyone. New to incubating eggs. I currently have 12 Rouen duck eggs.

A thermometer, which I'd previously thought to be accurate, turned out to be far from it. On day 1, when I believed my eggs to be at 99.5, they were in fact somewhere around 104 for approximately 15 hours. I realize this is of course far too hot.

I corrected the temperature using multiple different thermometers.

Do you think these eggs have any chance of making it, or did I certainly botch this? Curious about your thoughts.Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum! Multiple thermometers are always a good idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a long time to be that hot. The only way you'll know for sure is at the first candling.

I won't say it's not possible because it is possible that one or more survived.

Please holler back after the first candling. I'd really like to know if they survive.
I candled them today, at what would be six days. Of the 12, I can see spider-esque veins in about 10 of them.

I'm assuming if the heat had been fatal on day 1, I wouldn't be seeing veins on day 6? Or is my logic flawed?

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
I think they might have survived. I'm surprised you didn't see heart beats or didn't you look for them?

This is great news though. And something new we've learned about how tolerant the eggs can be in early incubation with high temps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think they might have survived. I'm surprised you didn't see heart beats or didn't you look for them?

This is great news though. And something new we've learned about how tolerant the eggs can be in early incubation with high temps.
New to this. Is the heartbeat pretty obvious?

Here is a photo, if it's worth anything.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
Yes and know. If you watch the blob you should see the heart beating but you have to be looking for it.

The first time I saw it I nearly dropped the egg.

We need one of our duck people to critique where the development is in that egg. I only raised Guineas and chickens.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
The egg is alive. If it had died from the over-heating four days ago you would not see veins. Your reasoning is sound. Once the heart stops the veining breaks down quickly to the point the veins can no longer be seen. From your post you have 10 viable eggs-fantastic! And movement is not always obvious; I no longer look for internal movement as the presence of veins tells that the eggs are living.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Yes and know. If you watch the blob you should see the heart beating but you have to be looking for it.

The first time I saw it I nearly dropped the egg.

We need one of our duck people to critique where the development is in that egg. I only raised Guineas and chickens.
All bird eggs develop about the same as far as appearance. If you showed a Robin egg being candled on day 3 with no object to give away its size, people would/could take it for a duck egg further along in development. You needn't have owned a specie in order to state whether it is developing or not. So what you know of guinea and chicken development can be applied to other specie eggs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The egg is alive. If it had died from the over-heating four days ago you would not see veins. Your reasoning is sound. Once the heart stops the veining breaks down quickly to the point the veins can no longer be seen. From your post you have 10 viable eggs-fantastic! And movement is not always obvious; I no longer look for internal movement as the presence of veins tells that the eggs are living.
Thank you for your expertise! Greatly appreciated!

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Thank you for your expertise! Greatly appreciated!
You are welcome. What kind of ducks are they? Rouen-I looked back at your first post. I have call and muscovy ducks. Both ducks are currently brooding; the call duck started today. The call duck is very small with a huge clutch. I'm debating whether or not to pull some of the eggs and put them in the incubator. If I can catch her off the nest tomorrow I'll examine the eggs to see if they are all warm. If some are cold I pull them for the incubator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are welcome. What kind of ducks are they? Rouen-I looked back at your first post. I have call and muscovy ducks. Both ducks are currently brooding; the call duck started today. The call duck is very small with a huge clutch. I'm debating whether or not to pull some of the eggs and put them in the incubator. If I can catch her off the nest tomorrow I'll examine the eggs to see if they are all warm. If some are cold I pull them for the incubator.
Hi! Just candled my Rouen duck eggs on Day 14.

Of the 12 I purchased, 2 never showed anything. I'm assuming they were not fertilized. The other 10 were progressing nicely -- veins and lots of movement.

However, today there was an egg with a pretty obvious blood ring. While I realize that things like this happen, I'm curious if this is a sign of a larger issue? If it's just one egg, oh well, but I'll be really disappointed if this is an issue that spreads/ starts occurring in more eggs. Any advice/ insight would be wonderful!

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
If it becomes more than one then I would look back to the excess heat in the early going.

Some never fully develop and die in the shell. It's just one of those things we accept. I'm hoping this is a one off for the remaining eggs.

Please keep us posted. This is a learning experience for all of us.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
It seems with each batch of eggs there will be one or two that form the dratted blood ring; it happens and normal. But, as Robin points out, when other eggs form the ring it's time to check out everything having to do with your incubator.

·
Registered
886 Posts
All bird eggs develop about the same as far as appearance. If you showed a Robin egg being candled on day 3 with no object to give away its size, people would/could take it for a duck egg further along in development. You needn't have owned a specie in order to state whether it is developing or not. So what you know of guinea and chicken development can be applied to other specie eggs.
A ‘Robin’ egg..... sorry sorry carry on.... gotta love autocorrect sometimes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts