Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hii, i create homemade incubator. I use XM-18E and other you can see in pics. My problem is with temperature, i have 5 drawers/boxs for eggs. Temperature sett is: 38 C. On 1,2 drawers/boxes temp is OK, but on 3,4,5 temperature is 36-35-34 C. Do you have idea how i can solve my problem
Ps Fan is 1350 RPM 150 W ( I have and smaller wats but problem is same). Thank you !

Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Automotive design Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Electrical supply Machine Engineering Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Engineering Electrical supply
Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Automotive design Audio equipment
Electrical wiring Gas Electrical supply Machine Engineering
Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Engineering Electrical supply

·
Administrator
21,848 Posts
We need PJ to weigh in on this since he's built his own in the past.

Right now I'm wondering if your heat source is not enough. I've never seen one tied into the fan like that.

·
Super Moderator
3,804 Posts
We need PJ to weigh in on this since he's built his own in the past.

Right now I'm wondering if your heat source is not enough. I've never seen one tied into the fan like that.
That's way too much fan for that incubator. Even my Emu incubators had small fans. You only need one small fan on top. When I have built my own in the past, I have used scrap computer fans. The heating coil attached to the fan unit looks like it would consume quite a bit of energy because there would be too much air exchange. I have one old cabinet incubator I set up with a solid state heat controller and a computer fan on top. The egg temps in the upper half are great. Because the door is so large, the temps on the bottom are a degree lower, so I use that for a large brooder tray for the first 24 hours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's way too much fan for that incubator. Even my Emu incubators had small fans. You only need one small fan on top. When I have built my own in the past, I have used scrap computer fans. The heating coil attached to the fan unit looks like it would consume quite a bit of energy because there would be too much air exchange. I have one old cabinet incubator I set up with a solid state heat controller and a computer fan on top. The egg temps in the upper half are great. Because the door is so large, the temps on the bottom are a degree lower, so I use that for a large brooder tray for the first 24 hours.
Now i install small fan but dont work, same problem
Kitchen appliance Gas Machine Electric blue Room

·
Administrator
21,848 Posts
PJ, where was your heat source? All of mine were larger in area. Not sure how to explain this. The fan was in the center but the heat source was actually many inches away from the fan.

It appears the heat source is right above the fan and the same circumference as the fan blade.

@Poultry Judge to get your attention.

·
Super Moderator
3,804 Posts
PJ, where was your heat source? All of mine were larger in area. Not sure how to explain this. The fan was in the center but the heat source was actually many inches away from the fan.

It appears the heat source is right above the fan and the same circumference as the fan blade.

@Poultry Judge to get your attention.
Yes, there is too much air exchange in that incubator.

·
Administrator
21,848 Posts
A computer fan is only four to six inches wide. I think your heat source is also part of the problem. It needs to be either wider or further from the fan.

·
Super Moderator
3,804 Posts
A computer fan is only four to six inches wide. I think your heat source is also part of the problem. It needs to be either wider or further from the fan.
Definitely further from the fan, you may have to experiment with the location of your heat source.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the temps will vary a bit from top to bottom in almost all cabinets, but as most are saying, to get your numbers tighter you need some venting. I always tell my customers to use butterfly vents in something like this. At least 1 on each side wall in the upper 15% of the wall and maybe even 1 on the back wall in the lower 20%.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found what is problem. Problem is tall. My incubator is Tall and narrow and temperature go UP. All incubator have only 3 eggs trays, because tall is not high and temperature can circulation. Now i making new box and we will see :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts