Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Today I received my order from mypetchicken.com. I ordered a dozen assorted Blue Standards and a dozen assorted Best of Bantams. I received:

Blue Standards:
-3 Blue Orpington Eggs
-1 Lavendar Orpington Egg
-4 Blue Copper Maran Eggs
-4 Blue Splash Maran Eggs

Best of Bantam:
-3 Red Silkie Eggs
-3 Blue Silkie Eggs
-2 Barnevelder Eggs
- 4 Quail Belgian Antwerp Eggs

I'm pretty disappointed that over half of my order of the blue standards are all Marans and the rest Orpington... I was REALLY hoping for some Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Ameraucanas as well.. The description for the order claims that you will receive eggs from ATLEAST 4 of the 8-10 breeds listed. I would have preferred a little more variety.

Either way, they are all set out now in the incubator! I candled them and some of the silkies have detached air cells for sure, but the rest are hard to tell. We'll see how it goes I guess! My incubator is set between 99 and 100 degrees and about 40% humidity right now. I got the Farm Innovators 2200 and it is working out really well so far. I have the eggs in bottomless egg cartons big side up to help re-attach the air sacs and have decided to place books under the edge of the incubator and go back and forth to sort of gently rock the eggs. I haven't decided how long I will keep them in the cartons for yet.

I have been reading through all of the incubation and hatching threads and I am so excited to get started!
Is anyone else out there getting ready as well?!

White Kitchen appliance Wood Material property Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Congrats, I just love to hatch eggs!!! Lol sorry you didn't get what you wanted but those are some good eggs there. I currently have 2 silkies and 2 polish eggs on day 8 in the bator now. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OKAY! So I have no self control and I couldn't resist candling my eggs at day 5! Here's what I found:

Amber Astronomical object Gas Heat Art

YEAH BLUE SILKIE!!!!

Amber Temperature Astronomical object Heat Gas

YEAH BELGIAN QUAIL ANTWERP

Amber Street light Orange Astronomical object Gas

Maybe my Lavender Orpington is developing? At first I thought it was a blood ring but I can see a smattering of veins at one end. So maybe?!

Amber Astronomical object Gas Temperature Heat

Here's one of the many eggs thats not developing, it looks like the air sac was shaken and made two? Bifurcated?

Amber Astronomical object Heat Gas Wax

Here's another..

Overall I'm excited to see any growth! I'm going to check again on thurs with some friends (I promised) and again on day 10. I guess I'll cull the ones not developing then and take a look at them.. So far it looks like all my blue silkies are developing! Unfortunately none of the red silkies or the barnevelders. A couple of the belgian antwerp quail too though! Hopefully my lavender orpington and a couple of the blues. I tried one of the marans but I couldn't see anything through that shell so who knows. I will be thrilled with whatever I get!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mstricer said:
How much did it cost you an egg?
It was around $30 per dozen plus shipping. I did not have a good customer service experience with them when I called them. I would not recommend ordering from them unless you are getting just three chicks, since they are the only company that offers that I hear.

·
28 Posts
i usually take them out of egg cartons on day 16, when i get shipped eggs i let them set for a good 12 hours before going into the incubator so that they can settle, i hope that you get a good hatch and that those airsacks reatach

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all!

Here are some day 9 pics:

Blue Silkie #1:

Amber Street light Astronomical object Heat Gas

Amber Astronomical object Gas Heat Font

Automotive lighting Astronomical object Gas Lens flare Art

Blue silkies 2 & 3:

Automotive lighting Amber Astronomical object Lens flare Heat

Automotive lighting Amber Astronomical object Heat Lens flare

My lavender orpington!!

Automotive lighting Petal Gas Tints and shades Sky

AND one of my Blue Splash Marans!

Crescent Astronomical object Gas Circle Tints and shades

I hope these pics show up as clearly here as they are on my iphone! I swear there are veins and embryos!! I was SO excited to actually be able to see in one of the Maran eggs! I suspect most of them are developing so I am very happy. I think maybe the blue orpingtons are developing as well. Unfortunately I culled all of my red silkies and barnevelders. I don't think any of my belgian antwerp quail eggs are developing either.
I think tomorrow (day 11) I am going to take the eggs out of their cartons and start hand turning them, all of the air sacs in the developing eggs are very stable and are doing great I think!
What do you all think?

Attachments

·
57 Posts
It was around $30 per dozen plus shipping. I did not have a good customer service experience with them when I called them. I would not recommend ordering from them unless you are getting just three chicks, since they are the only company that offers that I hear.
Hello everyone!

Today I received my order from mypetchicken.com. I ordered a dozen assorted Blue Standards and a dozen assorted Best of Bantams. I received:

Blue Standards:
-3 Blue Orpington Eggs
-1 Lavendar Orpington Egg
-4 Blue Copper Maran Eggs
-4 Blue Splash Maran Eggs

Best of Bantam:
-3 Red Silkie Eggs
-3 Blue Silkie Eggs
-2 Barnevelder Eggs
- 4 Quail Belgian Antwerp Eggs

I'm pretty disappointed that over half of my order of the blue standards are all Marans and the rest Orpington... I was REALLY hoping for some Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Ameraucanas as well.. The description for the order claims that you will receive eggs from ATLEAST 4 of the 8-10 breeds listed. I would have preferred a little more variety.

Either way, they are all set out now in the incubator! I candled them and some of the silkies have detached air cells for sure, but the rest are hard to tell. We'll see how it goes I guess! My incubator is set between 99 and 100 degrees and about 40% humidity right now. I got the Farm Innovators 2200 and it is working out really well so far. I have the eggs in bottomless egg cartons big side up to help re-attach the air sacs and have decided to place books under the edge of the incubator and go back and forth to sort of gently rock the eggs. I haven't decided how long I will keep them in the cartons for yet.

I have been reading through all of the incubation and hatching threads and I am so excited to get started!
Is anyone else out there getting ready as well?!

View attachment 4799
Don't trust the thermostat or hygrometer on that incubator, I heard they are not always right, run a different on inside. PM me I can give you the names of some people that have those breeds and they are not hatchery birds

1 - 11 of 11 Posts