Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Today I received my order from mypetchicken.com. I ordered a dozen assorted Blue Standards and a dozen assorted Best of Bantams. I received:

Blue Standards:
-3 Blue Orpington Eggs
-1 Lavendar Orpington Egg
-4 Blue Copper Maran Eggs
-4 Blue Splash Maran Eggs

Best of Bantam:
-3 Red Silkie Eggs
-3 Blue Silkie Eggs
-2 Barnevelder Eggs
- 4 Quail Belgian Antwerp Eggs

I'm pretty disappointed that over half of my order of the blue standards are all Marans and the rest Orpington... I was REALLY hoping for some Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Ameraucanas as well.. The description for the order claims that you will receive eggs from ATLEAST 4 of the 8-10 breeds listed. I would have preferred a little more variety.

Either way, they are all set out now in the incubator! I candled them and some of the silkies have detached air cells for sure, but the rest are hard to tell. We'll see how it goes I guess! My incubator is set between 99 and 100 degrees and about 40% humidity right now. I got the Farm Innovators 2200 and it is working out really well so far. I have the eggs in bottomless egg cartons big side up to help re-attach the air sacs and have decided to place books under the edge of the incubator and go back and forth to sort of gently rock the eggs. I haven't decided how long I will keep them in the cartons for yet.

I have been reading through all of the incubation and hatching threads and I am so excited to get started!
Is anyone else out there getting ready as well?!

image-3084705132.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Congrats, I just love to hatch eggs!!! Lol sorry you didn't get what you wanted but those are some good eggs there. I currently have 2 silkies and 2 polish eggs on day 8 in the bator now. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OKAY! So I have no self control and I couldn't resist candling my eggs at day 5! Here's what I found:

image-1415400308.jpg

YEAH BLUE SILKIE!!!!

image-457320794.jpg

YEAH BELGIAN QUAIL ANTWERP

image-1237108302.jpg

Maybe my Lavender Orpington is developing? At first I thought it was a blood ring but I can see a smattering of veins at one end. So maybe?!

image-4216669455.jpg

Here's one of the many eggs thats not developing, it looks like the air sac was shaken and made two? Bifurcated?

image-322210314.jpg

Here's another..

Overall I'm excited to see any growth! I'm going to check again on thurs with some friends (I promised) and again on day 10. I guess I'll cull the ones not developing then and take a look at them.. So far it looks like all my blue silkies are developing! Unfortunately none of the red silkies or the barnevelders. A couple of the belgian antwerp quail too though! Hopefully my lavender orpington and a couple of the blues. I tried one of the marans but I couldn't see anything through that shell so who knows. I will be thrilled with whatever I get!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mstricer said:
How much did it cost you an egg?
It was around $30 per dozen plus shipping. I did not have a good customer service experience with them when I called them. I would not recommend ordering from them unless you are getting just three chicks, since they are the only company that offers that I hear.

·
28 Posts
i usually take them out of egg cartons on day 16, when i get shipped eggs i let them set for a good 12 hours before going into the incubator so that they can settle, i hope that you get a good hatch and that those airsacks reatach

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello all!

Here are some day 9 pics:

Blue Silkie #1:

image-2797098863.jpg

image-1707866113.jpg

image-217849395.jpg

Blue silkies 2 & 3:

image-1900886086.jpg

image-1644412295.jpg

My lavender orpington!!

image-4162679184.jpg

AND one of my Blue Splash Marans!

image-2001022033.jpg

I hope these pics show up as clearly here as they are on my iphone! I swear there are veins and embryos!! I was SO excited to actually be able to see in one of the Maran eggs! I suspect most of them are developing so I am very happy. I think maybe the blue orpingtons are developing as well. Unfortunately I culled all of my red silkies and barnevelders. I don't think any of my belgian antwerp quail eggs are developing either.
I think tomorrow (day 11) I am going to take the eggs out of their cartons and start hand turning them, all of the air sacs in the developing eggs are very stable and are doing great I think!
What do you all think?

Attachments

·
57 Posts
It was around $30 per dozen plus shipping. I did not have a good customer service experience with them when I called them. I would not recommend ordering from them unless you are getting just three chicks, since they are the only company that offers that I hear.
Hello everyone!

Today I received my order from mypetchicken.com. I ordered a dozen assorted Blue Standards and a dozen assorted Best of Bantams. I received:

Blue Standards:
-3 Blue Orpington Eggs
-1 Lavendar Orpington Egg
-4 Blue Copper Maran Eggs
-4 Blue Splash Maran Eggs

Best of Bantam:
-3 Red Silkie Eggs
-3 Blue Silkie Eggs
-2 Barnevelder Eggs
- 4 Quail Belgian Antwerp Eggs

I'm pretty disappointed that over half of my order of the blue standards are all Marans and the rest Orpington... I was REALLY hoping for some Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and Ameraucanas as well.. The description for the order claims that you will receive eggs from ATLEAST 4 of the 8-10 breeds listed. I would have preferred a little more variety.

Either way, they are all set out now in the incubator! I candled them and some of the silkies have detached air cells for sure, but the rest are hard to tell. We'll see how it goes I guess! My incubator is set between 99 and 100 degrees and about 40% humidity right now. I got the Farm Innovators 2200 and it is working out really well so far. I have the eggs in bottomless egg cartons big side up to help re-attach the air sacs and have decided to place books under the edge of the incubator and go back and forth to sort of gently rock the eggs. I haven't decided how long I will keep them in the cartons for yet.

I have been reading through all of the incubation and hatching threads and I am so excited to get started!
Is anyone else out there getting ready as well?!

View attachment 4799
Don't trust the thermostat or hygrometer on that incubator, I heard they are not always right, run a different on inside. PM me I can give you the names of some people that have those breeds and they are not hatchery birds

1 - 11 of 11 Posts