Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's too dark to see if there are injuries, but all birds accounted for .... Can they die after the fact from fright? I was home later than usual and I hadn't closed them up right away when I should have. I feel like an idiot and am horrified my negligence caused so much stress to my girls and too. Thank god my too scared him off before I could even load my gun just terrified to have dead birds in the morning

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Sorry ... but yes, there could be ...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek:( ok thanks for the reply. Boy have I ever learned my lesson, I pray my birds are ok by morning. I would be crushed if anything happened to them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Typo that was supposed to be a sad face :( should I keep checking them over the next few hours or is it best to let them be? I don't want to scare then more

·
Registered
127 Posts
My girls know me and if it were me I'd be out there with a flashlight checking it out and talking to them. Make sure no one needs emergency care.... my thoughts anyhow.

Hope all is well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I will head out, my roo and one hen know and like me, but my other two hens are very skittish. But worth having a look I am so worried I feel sick to my stomach

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Yes, the shock can take them down after the fact. When I lost my Mama hen, Penny, and her two baby ducks to a bear, her sister went into shock and died two days later. I tried vitamins, water, electrolytes, yogurt, but she was too far gone. Shock and stress are hard core to your system.

People can learn a lot from chickens, especially about stress and what it can do.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am glad too, I am much more careful now closing them up early enough. This might sound strange but now they seem more interested in being near me. Maybe I am giving them too much credit but maybe they realize wherever I am means they are safe if close by me

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
After my barn burned, I fashioned a makeshift coop for the time being. One morning, one of the bantams flew into the rear kitchen window, which they never had done. I went to see what was wrong, and something had massacred all that couldn't fly. I gave the rest away that day. Heartbreaking, but I'll I never forget how they came to me for help. They know us.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fuzziebutt said:
After my barn burned, I fashioned a makeshift coop for the time being. One morning, one of the bantams flew into the rear kitchen window, which they never had done. I went to see what was wrong, and something had massacred all that couldn't fly. I gave the rest away that day. Heartbreaking, but I'll I never forget how they came to me for help. They know us.
Heart wrenching story, so sorry for your loss. I get it now... I am not crazy for thinking they will come to me when they feel scared. I never knew I could love my birds the same as a household pet or even family for that matter

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm so sorry I have lost 3 of my bantams 1 to racoons and 2 to disease. I know how it feels to lose birds and I know mine might not be as severe because you ended up having to get rid of them all but I truly feel bad for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a great idea, I will be building a bigger fancier coop in the spring, I didn't know there was such a thing, but you bet my new coop will have one. I will try and post pics

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can get the guillotine door at gundogsupply.com. Then get the motor, hook it up to a lamp timer, run an extension cord to the coop and your done. I never worry about the chickens after dark.
I am also pro-active in thinning out the *****. Constantly set box traps and release them in Turkey Buzzard Hollow ( wink, wink)

·
Registered
231 Posts
geminicowgirl said:
I think only #'s 2,3,and 6 are viable. But they will be my newest flock members.
Let us know how it goes, and also think about having a closed in run, and only letting them out to free range when you are there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts