Chicken Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do your birds like to be out ranging one minute and then back in the coop later? My "pasture" are is separated from where we have our coop and attached run. I want to let them in the yard but I have to gate them off because otherwise they will eat my veggie garden. Should their pasture area have some sort of shelter that they can take refuge in or a nest box (just in case)? I am wanting to put them out for a few hours a day in this gated area and let them forage and peck, and get their kitchen scraps, do they need feed out there as well, currently, this is just in the run. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
If there are shrubs etc for them to hide under for safety or simply go to for shade or a nap, all should be fine. :) Mine too will go in and out of the coop and run then back out into the yard to explore some more. Little busy bodies running every where and nowhere. :p As for feed, they will find plenty with foraging.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Well, this should help with the feed bill, boy they can eat! I've only had them 3 days and was told to keep them in the run/coop for a week to get acclimated. The yard is half shade and half sun, a nice sand pit, lots I'd weeds, grass and dirt, maybe I'll put a little crate out there or something. Now, to clip their wings...nervous, but it doesn't look to tough. Thanks for responding.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Since your pasture is not near your coop I would put something out there for them to hide from arial predators. Also why do you want to clip their wings?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Apyl said:
Since your pasture is not near your coop I would put something out there for them to hide from arial predators. Also why do you want to clip their wings?
When we first got our girls we clipped the wings, but never have again, they just don't seem to care to get out of their safe area, and the fencing is only 3 feet high, a mix of breeds, including ameraucana.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was suggested to clip the wings on one side by a friend who keeps chickens, but I've not done it yet. The area they have to run has a 4.5' fence with another 3' or so of bushed growing over top, perhaps I don't need to, I have no preference either way, I just live in the burbs and don't want them escaping into a neighbors yard or the street.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
When we first got our girls we clipped the wings, but never have again, they just don't seem to care to get out of their safe area, and the fencing is only 3 feet high, a mix of breeds, including ameraucana.
You're lucky. My ameraucana flies all over the place. Mainly because she wants to be ahead of the pack when it comes to getting the good stuff. :p My sebright banty is a flier too. As for the rest, RIR, BR, and Australorps - not so much. Australorp when she was younger but not anymore.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I want to avoid. Flying into, onto, out of any area that is going to be dangerous. They are larger breeds BR, RIR, BO, but they are only 5 months and still pretty light, I'm sure they could fly pretty well if they wanted to.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
It was suggested to clip the wings on one side by a friend who keeps chickens, but I've not done it yet. The area they have to run has a 4.5' fence with another 3' or so of bushed growing over top, perhaps I don't need to, I have no preference either way, I just live in the burbs and don't want them escaping into a neighbors yard or the street.
Well since your in the burbs and near a road then yes clip their wings, or highten your fence and put mesh over the run. Any standard size chicken will get over a 4 1/2 ft fence in a heart beat.

lol here is a pic of our Ancona, she was about 9 weeks old.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh my gosh, lol! That's what I'm wanting to avoid. I can't put mesh over the run, as my neighbors' bushes would have to be cut. She's happy to allow our shared fence/wall to be used for the hens but lord forbid if the bushes are cut. I think I might feel better of they are clipped.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
On another note, what I wouldn't give for the property that you are on!!!
Thanks :) I love it here. Our only full time neighbors are 1/4 mile away. The other neighbors (closest one is 2 acres from us) only come up on some weekends during the summer and hunting season.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, amazing! So much different than the 1/4 acre out here in the suburbs of L.A., but I can't complain about the California winters.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^yes it's a pretty good size for our area, but the house is teeny tiny. Most of the neighbors have forgone the green space and taken over their yards with house. It is still close enough to your neighbor to pass the butter through the kitchen window, almost ;)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
TJsGirls said:
^^^yes it's a pretty good size for our area, but the house is teeny tiny. Most of the neighbors have forgone the green space and taken over their yards with house. It is still close enough to your neighbor to pass the butter through the kitchen window, almost ;)
Lol, this is why we moved out to somewhat of the country. We are on just under an acre.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I could stand or our young son to be far away from his grandparents, we'd move to Colorado or Texas. California is just too $$$, ad do live remotely here, you'll be living in the desert :yuck:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would clip at the start until they know their boundries as 2 of mine flew over into neighbours garden and one was attacked by their dog,she pulled through like the little trooper she is but was badly bitten and still has bare patches and missing tail feathers and wasnt a good experience and took alot of looking after to get her back to health.If you are lucky enough to live in a big open space and no threats then its good not to have to clip wings but to be honest it doesnt really notice and they still manage to fly/jump pretty high on top of their house etc;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stu-hens said:
I would clip at the start until they know their boundries as 2 of mine flew over into neighbours garden and one was attacked by their dog,she pulled through like the little trooper she is but was badly bitten and still has bare patches and missing tail feathers and wasnt a good experience and took alot of looking after to get her back to health.If you are lucky enough to live in a big open space and no threats then its good not to have to clip wings but to be honest it doesnt really notice and they still manage to fly/jump pretty high on top of their house etc;)
Just clipped them yesterday, just on one side, and my RIR promptly flew over the enclosure gate! So glad I clipped them or they'd for sure be able to get into the neighbors' yards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts