Chicken Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
So out of random curiosity, can a chicken be to fat? The bully chicken got suuuuuuuper fat. Both chickens have been doing muuuuch better feet checked out to be okay. The bully iether calmed down or other chicken is better where shes not picked on as much by her. One chickens feathers grown back shes still filling out her breasts. They dug a hole in my flower bed to lay down and i guess dust themselves. Was super cute

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Yea today i noticed both calmed down with the food and are eating grass and things in yard. Ive tried all sorts of vegetables and fruit but they dont seem to care at all. Their feet and feathers look way better and im already getting eggs. The feed store suggested i switch over to egg laying feed since i saw some. So one day their were 2 eggs. Now daily i get 1 egg. I was mainly curious if is it one chicken producing the daily egg im seeing or are they maybe switching off? I was curious if one chicken was unhappy and not producing eggs or maybe a random issue? The main thing i love is i bought chicken chicken perches but they still love the weight lifting machine or bench press if its called and weights on patio.

·
Administrator
24,181 Posts
The fruit and veggies thing is because they don't know what they are. If you split a squash or cucumber in half where they can see the seeds chances are they'll check them out.

Not knowing how old the girls are makes it difficult to know why only one egg is being laid. Hatchery birds have known issues with egg laying as they become a bit older, 2 to 3 years old when things begin to go wrong. Not all but many go through it.

It's also still Winter. Or maybe one is getting ready to molt. If you really want to know who is laying you can put two or three drops of food coloring in the vent of of them. The color will transfer to the egg if it's the one doing the laying. If its not then there will be no coloring.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Thats smart idea the food coloring. I believe the one that grew the feathers back and had most issues, is the one laying eggs. Shes usually in the laying box section i noticed recently, but im going to do the food coloring suggestion to confirm. No matter what i buy or do its funny they love my husbands weights lol.
Bird Beak Phasianidae Comb Chicken

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I do have those the wooden perches. Their in the coop though. Ill buy some more and have on patio. they just like that corner. They do like vegetables and fruit now. I was dumb didnt cut any open lol just threw whole cucumber on floor n now i know whhhhy. Their doing alot better. Their feathers and any injuries ive seen are healed up. They seem very social follow me around looks like they want to hop in my lap but im flinchy. I love how they like the meal worms to so they eat left over bugs from my reptiles so thats cool im not wasting anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,297 Posts
Find out as much as you can about the permitting process.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
So i discovered one chicken is laying eggs in a bush and 3 eggs were their. I guess the roost box that is connected to the coop i bought only fits one hen. Maybe when they were smaller they could fit and why i found 2 eggs in their. Now their good size where only one hen fits in the roost box or laying box. Could i buy or put in an extra roost box somehow or just let her use the bush n get eggs later when shes done

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
This is the coop and pen set up i did. I let them out daily and be free in entire backyard but when sun goes down i put them in pen and they go in the house naturally once sun is down sleep. The bully i guess goes in the laying box section. Then i discovered henry goes out and to this bush lays egg in morning.
Plant Plant community Building Window Leaf

Maybe i need to change the set up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Has anyone fed chickens hornworms? I have ones that got to big for my reptiles wanted to toss the worms to the chickens. Nothing on google says their bad but is that okay? Are their any bugs bad for chickens

61 - 80 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.