Chicken Forum banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Administrator
24,181 Posts
You can put a second feeder out. The bully would have a tough time trying to protect two of them.

No more tossing feed out on the concrete or the ground.

I've used the Ag baits quite successfully for years. Baits like Havoc and Tom Cat. The rodents will get bait shy after a while, that's when you switch up to a different one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I know we used tom cat before because of pricing and box ill try others you mentioned. I am going to buy another feeder thats smart she wouldnt be able to protect both. I stand inbetween them most as i can n so the one being bullied hangs out and follows me more. Ill probably get few more water and food feeders. She follows as i go to clean n finding worms to as i go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So this chicken is just meeean man. Official bully. Her name fits her personality(pecky). I got 3 feeders now, probably alot but i put out 2. Once she sees the other chicken eat she just goes back and forth pecks her away and eats does it until i feel bad and stand in between them. Their 10 feet apart should they be farther is that my error? The only thing i seem to have work today, was i took a new baking pan sheet the long flat one. I put food on that n then have feeder other side of padio. The bully seems to like baking sheet since she can stand over food and the second chicken goes to the feeder. But is that okay or will the bully chicken calm down after a while? Maybe the previous care from that homeless guy shes in survival mode? If thats a thing. Is it bad if they havent laid eggs yet? I know i havent had them long and its not spring, i was just curious if thats a health issue or thing to have caution on...

·
Administrator
24,181 Posts
You're doing fine. Sometimes some of them are just plain flat out mean girls. She might settle but there's no way to know until time goes by.

Not surprising on the lack of eggs just yet. Moving them can cause them to stop for a while. And when I looked back at the pics of the one girl, it appears she was finishing a molt. Or just going into one. See the fuzzy looking feathers? You'll see those during a molt. And her feathers are such a mess she does need to do a molt at some point.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yeea the one chicken i thought the other day maybe shes molting. She came in the worst condition and i felt she was depressed or something. Her tail looked wet and matted and missing alot of feathers. They first imedietly went to water thats what they cared the most over food when i got them out the cat crate. I do feel bad i first had them in grage for a day until i went bought actual chicken coop thats safe secure outside then moved them to backyard and that one is doing alot better is finally sunbathing and not acting depressed in a corner in the shade. I dusted her help her feathers since she wouldnt do it like other one. The bully just rehabilitated so fast and is fat healthy beautiful feathers. This ones little slower, but adapting better. Ill go stand out in sun since she follows me and seems helped idk shes doing chicken things way more now than being depressed in a corner.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Maaaan that guy was wierd nn troubled. The entire encounterment was truly wierd. I know walmart attracts all kinds of characters but man lol. I assume i most likely bought stolen chickens tho. My boyfriend and i still cant fathom how i went to walmart for food and things for kids but instead came back with 2 chickens in a cat crate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So today i noticed the one chicken growing feathers pooped very runny poooo...i was curious is this my fault with trial n error on how i did food on concrete since u mentioned moisture? Like some of her poo is solid i saw her poop just now but earlier it shot out liiike white water. I dont mean to be discusting i was now curious if its like intestinal thing or is that peee. Im sorry im nieve. When i read things on google i overthink it and feel its more confusing than when you describe things i ask then i feel better. I do appriciate all the help truly thankyou.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Also she doesnt have hardly any nails on her feet. Healthy one has good nails but the one growing wings looks like she has nubs as feet. And shes always standing on one leg. Leg she stands on has more nails ill say. Idk if they were clipped or something

·
Administrator
24,181 Posts
If you've been giving them snacks like fruit it can cause them to have a loose stool. The white part in their droppings is their urine. Are they still drinking a lot of water? That will do it too.

Pic. Need some pics of the top and bottoms of both feet. There might be something going on there but without some good pics can't know for sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I havent given them fruit at all or anything besides the all purpouse feed the feed and supply store. Their are i think small berries that grow on the wall their tiny blue ones idk if she went for that. But ill surely get feet pics of hers tomorrow when theirs light.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Is it bad i have only been giving them the chicken food the feed store suggested? They go around pick n eat the grass and worms n bugs in backyard. Idk why i havent tried giving them anything else but the feed stuff. Never occured to me i guess.

·
Administrator
24,181 Posts
Ah ha!!! Such a mean chicken keeper. :ROFLMAO: Really treats are for our benefit in watching how much they enjoy them. Some go over the top and upset their GI tracts.

If you decide you want to do that try bright colored fruit. A watermelon rind with some meat on it. Blueberries, strawberries, tomato. I usually kept iceberg lettuce around for mine since it was easy to hand out.

Go easy, don't let them sucker you into giving them too much. Then be ready for them to follow you around like puppies or staring in the windows wanting you to come out with more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I have blueberries i tossed out lol but only the sick one cared to go for them. ill get more fruit and give them as i go as treats haha thats funny tho. This is the foot of that one chicken she pullls her foot up. She runs away cant seem to grab her tho to get bottem of feet. But she has good size bubbles on the web of the feet.
Bird Beak Wood Liver Fawn

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Maaaaaan i hope she doesnt have bumble foot or whatever google shows. Ill be saaaad. I think im just going to take them into davis college or find vet to have peace of mind. Idk i just feel bad if their feet r messed up and if their in anykind of pain. Even if my boyfriend says its a chicken lol

·
Administrator
24,181 Posts
Tell your boyfriend to get over himself. And that I said it.

If you've got something local to give them a once over, that would be great. Especially considering the conditions they came out of. They can help with the possibility that they have internal parasites. Not saying they do, just that they can check.

Something is going on with that foot. It's the bottom that will tell the tale of what is going on.

Mealworms. They love dried mealworms. When they learn what they are. High protein level in them. I never gave any of mine meat. So don't go there. You can't know everything. It's obvious you're learning and want the best for them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Maan i bet my uncle or aunts would know someone since they have horses and livestock. Very different but probably knows someone. If not i bet the local feed store someone would have knowledge also. I feel its probably from that cat crate cuuuz it was very nasty. I know birds poop alot but idk i felt they were just living in that crate it waaaas bad. But thats smart finding something local it never occured to me im impatient alot n choose throw money at vet with best reviews. I just like helpin things. End of the day I knew that dude was bad n birds looked bad so just said maaan ill take the sick birds since everyone else at wallmart is just ignoring u not caring on some chickens. My boyfriend tho he shuts up when i reply back with if u saw him with a sick injured dog u would of done it so whats difference on some chickens. Its still an animal.

·
Administrator
24,181 Posts
Large animal vets are more willing to look at our birds. Doesn't mean they know a whole lot but they are so much better than nothing. They can determine the internal parasites, they can start the initial treatment for bumble. They can dispense the right antibiotics if they're needed.

People are slowly beginning to realize there's a lot more to a chicken than just feathers. They can learn their names. They do recognize their humans.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.