Chicken Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Dang okay i wont do the chick idea i did skim read something about that. Will they be okay as a pair? Be happy at least? Im not worried on egg production just want thim okay and happy

·
Administrator
22,606 Posts
They have each other so they should be fine. The reason for suggesting three is that if one dies then there isn't a lone bird.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ooh okay. Wow thats interesting i didnt read anything on that just how they like bigger groups n be in a flock. Awe thats sad tho if one passes in future and if i have a lonely hen. Has anyone introduced a new chicken before to a pair of chickens? Is that a bad idea? Should i just care for these 2 and go from here? I wouldnt introduce anything without gaining full knowledge or at all if someone suggests that.

·
Administrator
22,606 Posts
Instead of thinking one, think a bonded pair. That way at least they each have buddies they know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Should i provide anykind of heat lamp or heat source for them in the coup im buying? It only gets 40° coldest but i didnt know if thats nessessary

·
Administrator
22,606 Posts
You're right, it's not necessary. Remember they actually wear what we stuff coats and comforters with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The only thing i feel bad about. Randomly people play loud music behind my house all hours of the night with the stupid base stuff. Would it be to much disturbance for them at night? Could i possibly install a white noise machine or is that to much overthinking

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
The only thing i feel bad about. Randomly people play loud music behind my house all hours of the night with the stupid base stuff. Would it be to much disturbance for them at night? Could i possibly install a white noise machine or is that to much overthinking
I'm curious, what city or state do you live?
We used to live in Jacksonville, Florida. On occasion we had the same issue with neighbors around us.
The answer to your question is that chickens adapt to their surroundings pretty much like people for the most part.
You could talk to your neighbors and nicely ask them if they could be courteous enough to turn down their music at night.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I live in sacramento, california, so its kinda hard to since everyone blasts the music. Its mainly because the location not neighbors. the issue is random people that established the kick it spot behind my house.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yea i cant handle that specific noise and feel bad. May i please ask for someones food schedule or their exact way to feed the chickens? I was reading how they need grit and oyster shells. Very fascinating im used to dusting bugs for reptiles so this is completly new to me. Is their a peticular method on doing so? Ive just been feeding them chicken feed i got suggested by store.

·
Administrator
22,606 Posts
Chickens are foragers so their feed should be out full time for them to peck at.

As to the need for oyster shells and or grit. If you're feeding a layer feed they won't need it. But if you feed an all flock without additional calcium they will need it on the side. Grit is needed if they get things that need grinding, like seeds. But if they free range at all shouldn't need the grit.

One thing I will say because it drives me up the wall when others do this. Do not pull grass and feed it to them. Grass is fibrous and can wad up in the crop blocking it. They should be allowed to graze the grass for themselves. They know best how much to pinch off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yea i let them out of coop to free range but its raining at the moment i didnt know if getting feed wet was bad so i have that waterer food dish of feed. Feed them on the padio dry then they walk out pick at grass n whatever in yard

·
Administrator
22,606 Posts
They might crack one but usually they know what they're doing. The negative about the feed on the concrete is that the feed can wick up any moisture pretty quickly. Make sure you sweep up any they spill everyday. That way any they spill will be fresh and they can go straight back to making a mess. :giggle:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Oh wow okay i didnt think it could gain moister like that dang. Thats amazing information thankyou so much!! Could i ask for suggestions on keeping rats away. They are i feel inevitable because of neighbors fruit trees and dumpsters from near by convient store. I read about peppermint and things.

·
Administrator
22,606 Posts
Yeah, it's like a sponge. I have one small feeder I keep having to dump because for some reason the feed is absorbing the moisture in the air. The other feeders aren't doing it so I don't know what is up with this one.

I use an Ag mouse/rat bait when they make an appearance. There are bait stations the baits can go in that the chickens can't access. And if a rodent happens to die where they can get at it it won't kill the bird or cat or dog. There just isn't enough poison there to hurt the others.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yea i feel i have rats of nimh over here. We have done poison and those boxes before chickens with poison n feel they let one dumb rat go in see it dies n they never touched it again. Ive coated bait with peanut butter n once they see one die they dont continue. The feed though thats crazy to discover its like a sponge. I keep main bag in kitchen n when i let them out i toss it everywhere on concrete but ill stop that now. I started with a feeder but the healthy chicken keeps dominating n pecking the other chicken away from food so i went to pouring it all over concrete/brick padio. Sweep it up random times in day to make piles. The other chicken is growing feathers back from that exposed area so i assume the other checken pecks her seeing the exposed growing feathers. I think it was feathers growing back than bugs now.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts