Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i randomally bought these chickens the other day gathering information as i go due to them being rescues. One is missing feathers and i want to say has bugs maybe lice? But if anyone would be able to give me advice on what it could be or identify anything if picture comes out okay i greatly appreciate it.
Brown Wood Bedrock Formation Landscape

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Good on you giving that poor bird a decent life.

I want to say that's quills but then again it almost looks like an egg mass. If it's an egg mass then more than likely she has chicken lice.

I went back and reread what you suggested. Seems you might do very well as a chicken owner because it looks like your suspicions were correct about the lice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did go to the store purchased this dust called permectrin flies, louse,mites? So their scared n hard hold em down do full cover with it but i did dump it where it covered their entire backs mainly on that one chicken that area. Checking on them few hours they seem to have spred it all over, but i doubt under im not sure but i have them covered n dont want to try due to rain. Will i at least be able to save that one chicken in the picture? The other i can tell is dominant, healthier more spry, both are active and spry probably happier being in a backyard but still that one just looks so bad i feel so sad i cant get any vet apointment if i tried until after first week of januray.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So like i said im learning as i go. I normally own reptiles lol....i learned chickens molt n lose feathers n now what u said about the quills....soo is it loss of feathers from picking at the lice? Im just staring at google images with the chicken and youtube videos to figure out what i have to do.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Using the dust is fine. You will have to reapply it a few times because it has a short period that it's affective. Plus you want to catch any new hatches.

If that is an egg cluster is there any way you can remove them? Maybe a pic more from the side will help with the view of what is being seen. I'd hate for you to be treating lice and it's really just quills.

Yes, it could be from others going after the mites and eggs. I wouldn't worry to much about her if she's eating and drinking and not being bullied.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So ill try and remove eggs. I know that area in pictures looks like dust is sitting all on it. She moved the dust all over top but that area idk looks covered in flour though where i cant see anything now

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Their both eating whatever feed store reccomended. An all pourpous feed? And i give all my animals purified water where we get waters filled. But they eat drink no problem

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its probably my phone sucks. Their butts and tails look good. The ones back is in that picture and the healthier one has some spots more by the wing. I can tell the hen in the picture the eggs and stuff is gone from that powder. Im probably going to have friend over and grab them legit wash them inside blow dry on low heat n dust toss em back. Keep eye out. I threw fire wood ash out covered in a snow sled if they want to dust. Just seen it online

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its probably my phone sucks. Their butts and tails look good. The ones back is in that picture and the healthier one has some spots more by the wing. I can tell the hen in the picture the eggs and stuff is gone from that powder. Im probably going to have friend over and grab them legit wash them inside blow dry on low heat n dust toss em back. Keep eye out. I threw fire wood ash out covered in a snow sled if they want to dust. Just seen it online
I literally was walking up to walmart and homeless guy offered 2 chickens for 6 bucks stuffed in a duck tape cat carrier. I only know their hyrins and 24 months

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I literally was walking up to walmart and homeless guy offered 2 chickens for 6 bucks stuffed in a duck tape cat carrier. I only know their hyrins and 24 months
Yea the other one has few spots under the wing is all. Reading on chickens will 2 be happy together? I read how 3 minimum but i dont want to toss another chicken in due to these sick ones and if they fight the new one idk

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I didnt see any lice eggs, unless my vision is playing tricks on me. They are usually white or off white in color and are attached to feather shafts. The best place to find them is around the vent area where it's warm and moist most of the time, as Robin mentioned.
If you see lice eggs, then you should have seen lice crawling around through feathers and fluff. Lice eggs can be removed with coconut oil. Lice are white/off white or straw in color. Mites are black or red in color and suck blood and can cause anemia, then death..

Due to the feather loss and broken feather shafts, it appears that a rooster may have been overmating your hen at her previous location. If that's the case, new feathers will regrow during molt.

In your last post, you stated the other hen has a few spots under her wing. Again, this could be from a rooster wherever the homeless person acquired the two birds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didnt see any lice eggs, unless my vision is playing tricks on me. They are usually white or off white in color and are attached to feather shafts. The best place to find them is around the vent area where it's warm and moist most of the time, as Robin mentioned.
If you see lice eggs, then you should have seen lice crawling around through feathers and fluff. Lice eggs can be removed with coconut oil. Lice are white/off white or straw in color. Mites are black or red in color and suck blood and can cause anemia, then death..

Due to the feather loss and broken feather shafts, it appears that a rooster may have been overmating your hen at her previous location. If that's the case, new feathers will regrow during molt.

In your last post, you stated the other hen has a few spots under her wing. Again, this could be from a rooster wherever the homeless person acquired the two birds.

Woow okay i didnt know roosters do that damn. Ya idk where he aquired them it was all very random and odd encounter for 12 dollars. The chickens are scared and flip out when i grab them i need extra pair of experienced hands first time messing with chickens. My boyfriend is more of a pansy and doesnt care on them so i have to wait for friend to assist. Imma keep these tweaker south sac chickens tho. If i may ask how often should i apply the dust. Any other food recommendations. I learned u cant just give them unlimited amount of food they ate and drank like crazy tho

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My friend is comming by today and were going to bring chicken inside do bath and completely dry her. The one in picture for precaution. Hopefully word of mouth i can find someone at church or somewhere that has knowledge for in person opinion. I do appreciate all help everyone that came to assist. Hope everyone has blessed and very merry christmas by the way and hope to gain more knowledge from everyone here. Much love and positive vibes to all

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
LOL The powder helped define the broken quills. When you touch her try not to touch the quills, that area can be very sensitive. It might be why she has such an issue with being handled. Same goes for the girl with the missing feathers under the wings.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts