I'm tired of being fat

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by pinkmartin, Sep 21, 2015.

1. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

Oh, that's awesome! !! I used to to a church who had a massive food bank ministry. I can't remember how many hundreds of folks we were privileged to help. My current church has partnered with another church to go out into the community to help feed them and minister to them in anyway we can all free.
    I get down on myself as well. I have 70 or so to loose. And like you, I get tired of trying. I has decided that diets just make life more difficult. I think eating healthy and in moderation is probably the best route. I haven't accomplished this yet but I'm working on it.

2. pinkmartin

pinkmartin New Member

My fil is a retired minister. They want us to go to church. Hubby just won't go. I used to like their church but it's grown so much that I just don't feel comfortable there anymore. My mom and dd are going to a very small church. I have been thinking about going. I donate to their clothing bank. They open it up once a month. You don't have to tell them your income. You just show up. I like that. I just happen to really enjoy adult Sunday school and they don't offer it. My in-laws church has it but there are soooo many people. I'm struggling to decide which one to attend.

I tried just "eating healthy" but I still made so many really bad choices. I need a structured plan that still allows me to make choices. One that doesn't make me feel deprived. So far the high protein low carb plan satisfies that. It just remains to be seen if my body will respond by losing or gaining. I'm hopeful. And hope is something I haven't experienced a lot. It feels good. With this I can still enjoy some desserts as long as they are prepared with low carb ingredients. Enough to satisfy the sweet tooth without feeling like a failure.

3. nannypattyrn

I think you're doing exactly the right thing for you then! Hang in there! My favorite low/no carb dessert was coco powder(1Tb), whole cream(2 Tbs) and sweertner to taste. Mix all together until thick ( Atkins ). No much but very satisfying.
    I think you should try both churches maybe a few times then see. I play on our worship team and its a pretty large church for this area. I can understand how one could feel "lost in the crowd".

4. Barredrockmom

Barredrockmom New Member

I'm with you here. For the past year I have hired a personal trainer two days a week and work out cardio and strength 3 more days a week. They started me on a high protein diet which I pretty much followed for a year. 10 pounds and two sizes is all I lost...but. My hormones are all over the place. I have Hypothyroidism. It started when I had a total Hysterectomy. I can't lose one stinking pound now and am off to a Endocrinologist plus Weight Loss clinic. I have had chronic pain since 1998 and it really gets me down. Trying to exercise in constant fatigue sucks. Now I have gout from the high protein diet on top of everything else. So be careful with the high protein diet is you have any arthritis.

You mentioned that there is diabetes in your family. Have your thyroid checked.

5. pinkmartin

pinkmartin New Member

That sounds really good nanny:) I may look for a way to add coconut oil to it for the healthy fat.

Barred, sounds like you've really had a bad time. Exercising thru fatigue is a nightmare. I really understand that! Gout wouldn't be good. I'll have to watch my step. My mom actually has graves disease (hyperthyroidism). Its been a long road for her. I had my thyroid checked several years ago and they said all was normal. No insurance now. So no doctor.

6. Fiere

Fiere New Member

My thyroid has been mentioned to me a couple times. I can't get blood work done (I'm completely phobic of needles) so checking it is a lost cause. I have a lot of hormonal problems as well, wonder if it's a contributing factor? Probably.

And hello, Nanny! I slip in and out frequently. I'm the board's ninja.

7. nannypattyrn

Lol! I could get your blood and you'd never feel it! (maybe :) ).
    I've had a total hysterectomy, too, but my thyroid checks out good except I have a cyst (goiter) that the docs are just watching for mow.
    For me, the needle hurts more coming out than going in!

8. Fiere

Fiere New Member

I try to eat my own little made up diet. When I followed it more strictly it helped.
    I save the dairy and grain for treats instead of cutting them out altogether. The only milk Id drink with any regularity was what I milked from the goat and the cream in my coffee. My meals consisted of animal proteins and plant material. It's all about healthy fats (animal fats), low sugars, low grains, and plenty of veg and fruit.
    My daily regime consisted of waking up, getting kid to school, feeding animals, drinking a coffee, then taking the dogs for a 5k run. Id get back, drink 2 glasses of lemon water and make a 2 egg omelette with spinach, hot peppers, and a bit of sheep's milk cheese. Id then go out and muck my barns. Lunch would consist of some veggies or fruit and half a can of tuna. Id then ride in the afternoon or clean house. Supper was meat/veg/rice or small amount of noodles. Id take the dogs for another 1km run in the evening, do weight training or do some clients depending on what my schedule and the weather allowed for.
    My energy as of late has been zapped and it's really hard to get back into a grove. I know if I get out of my funk I can lose the weight, get fit, and feel so much better physically but it's getting out of my own way that is the issue!!!

9. Fiere

Fiere New Member

It's not feeling it, I don't know what it is. You can't go near me with a needle, I take an absolute panic attack.
    Heck, I was in labour with my daughter and they needed to put in an IV... They strapped a nitrous oxide mask to my face, covered my head with a towel so Id be absolutely high as a kite, and then I had my husband holding down my torso, a nurse holding down my legs, and two techs holding that arm down while another nurse put the IV in. They ended up taking all the prenatal blood work then, because I couldn't get it previous to that as my stress levels were high enough to hurt the baby.

When the nurse comes to take an IV out of me, I pull it out of my arm and pass it to them. No one is allowed being near me with a needle. Can't even watch one being done on TV. I couldn't even hold the puppy when he went in for his shots because my hands were too close to the injection site!
    Oddly enough I can give needles to the livestock and not bat an eye, but it's cause I'm in control, I think.

10. nannypattyrn

Wow! We've had some pass completely out, so you're not alone.

11. Fiere

Fiere New Member

Passing out would be fine, then at least they could get the blood work done haha!
    I just go ballistic. My body literally sees it as a life or death situation when someone comes at me with a needle, it's crazy and I have no control over it at all.

12. seminolewind

seminolewind Well-Known Member

I have no problems with needles. In fact whenever I get my flu shot I make sure I yell "OW" really loud and shake up the shot giver.

13. seminolewind

seminolewind Well-Known Member

OMG!!! You sound like wonder woman. Send some energy my way!!! I've been so sedentary lately. I do need to get off the couch and get some things done.

14. perchiegirl

perchiegirl Coop Fortifier

for what its worth when I joined up with the chicken forum I was 369.8 pounds.... I had just joined Weight Watchers... I am down to 355.2 or down by 14.6.

I got tired of being tired, and depressed. I turned sixty in June. and found that I was Very Despondant.... I was in 5x pants and had to buy 5x shirts to go over my 5x hips. Walking about with a Walker with rollers is no fun either... I could barely make it from the car to the grocery store to get a scooter.

child bearing was the opposite for me... i went in at 220 pounds and came out at 200 pounds... probably the benefit of being an older new mom at 34.

No I creeped up because I started dieting... in my twenties. Because I didnt match what the girls looked like on the cover of seventeen magazine... at 145 pounds I was actually under the weight for my height and age. So I went on a diet... I would loose a few and gain a few back plus ten... and the snowball started.

By the time I was in my late 40s I was 300 lbs. I decided that dieting wasnt working for me... By then I had tried them all my only success was in my twenties with Weight Watchers. I lost 56 pounds in 26 weeks and kept it off till I was in my early thirties. Which I believe I was starting menopause sypmtoms then.

So I know about reading lables big time. Pay attention to the first two items on the ingredient list as well. If they are salt or sugar pass it up. Because they are listed in the order of the volume that is in the product.

Also pay attention to the nutritional value... 60 calories for example doesnt sound too bad. But look at the serving size... and if its a teaspoon run away. LOL.

But there is so much more to know about that nutritional value lable and how it effects your weight loss. Most people strive for non fat everything... But we need a certain amount of good fats in our diet to be able to assimliate fat soluable vitamines. and to aid in digestion as well.

There are several online sites that are free that will help with the goal of loosing weight and or getting fit. Spark People come to mind. Good solid dietary science behind them.

I also bought a pedometer device called a FitBit... the device inside has a signup code for their website. Now it synchronizes your activity with what you input during day to day activities. How much you sleep and if the sleep is quality.... you put in your statistics... Height, WEight, age... and it calculates what you should shoot for calory wise... because it knows how many calories you spend just to maintian... The goal is to run your engine in deficit mode. Take in fewer calories than you require to maintain your wieght.

In my case because I am morbidly obese I could not simply jump into a 1200 calorie diet. Because My day to day calories are over 3000. If I had I would have slipped into starvation mode and every calory would have been conserved because my body would think it was going to die. So they set a goal for me at 2500, calories per day.

the Fitbit program synchronizes with Weight Watchers thats why I am talking about this. With both programs as you loose weight your calories per day allowed are also reduced.

If I can no longer afford WEight Watchers I will have the security of the Fitbit program to carry on my tracking efforts.

But with WW I have a meeting I go to and get a chance to socialize... listen to a topic for the week and develope strategies and goal making techniques... The food tracking with WW is very easy to do there is even a calculator that you can input the nutritional values in and it will crank you what the point values are for that food item. Plus we all have favorites... I can mark my favorites and pull them up rather quickly.

There is NO food that is forbidden in any of these programs. NONE... But you have to use the mindset that the calories or the points (WW system) are like money in the bank... you spend them wisely ideally... spread them out during the day... With WW just about all fruits and vegetables are not counted as part of their point system.

Sorry to ramble I seem to be in a writing mode these days. But right now I am having success and am feeling good about what I am doing.

deb

15. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Keep it up Deb. You have a positive, can do attitude!

16. pinkmartin

pinkmartin New Member

Deb! I was hoping you would join the party! I'm so glad to hear that you are experiencing success:)

After our convo before, I tried a points app. I was so hungry. Since nothing was off limits, I was eating a lot of fruit. I'm a carb addict. Fruit has a lot of sugar. In my case, those carbs crave carbs. The more I have, the more I want. I felt deprived. I'd be good for a few days, then go to get groceries, eat a box of milk duds on my way home and 6 donuts thru the evening. I was outta control.

I find now, the protein keeps me satisfied. Even when I get hungry, I think more about a couple of cheese cubes than about sugar. I'm not drinking pop! There's pop in the house. I just don't think about it. Yesterday, I drank over 8 servings of water for the first time in my life. Water used to make me feel hungry. It was carb cravings.

I am staying under my calorie goal (my own goal, not atkins) I'm not hungry. I'm finding it hard to eat the amount of fat and protein they recommend for me. I just can't see eating when I'm not hungry. I used to feel hungry 20 mins after a big meal. I lived to eat. Now, I eat til I'm satisfied. I leave food on my plate. I don't need second helpings. So far, I'm loving it. I feel in control for the first time in years.

17. pinkmartin

pinkmartin New Member

Last night I made a fat bomb (snacks low carbers use to increase healthy fat and enjoy something sweet) it was so good. Afterward, I had a slight belly ache. I think I had so little fat in my diet for so long that my belly didn't know what to do with it. I was so scared of fat that I'd cook bacon. Then rinse it under hot water and trim all the fat off of the meat. It was ridiculous. I had 3 slices of bacon and a carbmaster yogurt for breakfast. A cup of coffee with sugar free Carmel flavoring and vanilla almond milk. I made my boy pancakes. I didn't feel a bit sad to not eat some. I was already full.

18. pinkmartin

pinkmartin New Member

Ha ha ha... Normally, after my son and hubby leave for the day, I go back to bed for a couple hours. I'm not so tired today. My dogs are standing at the bottom of the stairs just looking at me. "C'mon mom. Its nap time. What are we waiting for?" I might become a productive person again!

19. rosco47

rosco47 New Member

i'm a big advocate for meal prepping. i pick one or two evenings and grill up a bunch of protein and cook up a bunch of veggies to get me through the week. #1 you save money in the long run by not eating out. #2 you always have something healthy ready to eat. learn how to cook healthy with good fats. also, good seasoning will go A LONG WAYS on a diet. don't be afraid of good fats (in moderation). they will support proper bodily functions including ridding of bad fats in the body and drastically helping your mental clarity. also, single ingredient foods are your friend (chicken, rice, raw nuts, raw veggies, etc.) nothing from a can, wrapper, or bottle! this will turn your metabolism into a furnace. trust me.

set a 30 day goal and 90 day goal and then re access and make new goals. small steps! a small step in the right direction is still a step in the right direction. example- no carbs after lunch and completely off of soft drinks after 30 days. i never recommend overhauling your diet and lifestyle to lose weight. you didn't get where you are in 30 days, so give yourself more than 30 days to get where you want to be.

have a group to hold you to it. (like us). we will ask you how you are doing. maybe someone else here will take this journey with you...? post updates daily, weekly, etc.

i don't recommend substitutes...tea instead of coke, or artificial sweeteners instead of sugar, etc. you aren't fixing the root- the craving. you are just sidelining the issue. you have to change your cravings! stick to a plan and your body will change its cravings naturally. (our bodies are smarter than we choose to acknowledge)

Lastly, DO NOT STEP ON A SCALE FOR 30 DAYS. let the mirror and your current clothing be the gauge.

sorry that's alot, but helping people get healthy is something that I passionately care about. just remember- small steps! you coming here seeking help and support was the first :)

20. MichaelA69

MichaelA69 New Member

Where diet should be healthy, physical activity is what brings vitality and strength. It is hard and laboring at first until you realize the high and prolonged energy you receive from it. Just 15 - 20 minutes of stairs or a treadmill, or even walking briskly/hiking uphill (30 minutes) will make a difference so long as you sweat. If you want to make weight lifting a part of the program later, I'd recommend it. I used to work out 4-5 days a week, doing cardiovascular exercise for 15-20 minutes, do stretch exercises after I was warmed up, then do upper body weights one day, then lower the next. It was a good routine, and it gave me a more positive outlook on life each day with the amount of energy I had. Be disciplined with your diet in regard to avoiding carbonated sugar drinks and replace with juice. Meat and vegetables are important and should be eaten every day. Pick one day out of the week to eat whatever you want. That way you will not feel cheated. This is what worked for me until I quit and allowed work to eat up much of my time.